Textures and Lighting

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Textures and Lighting

mkg(Posted 2007) [#1]
When I get stuck I find most of what I need on this site. But I haven't been able to find much on texturing and lighting that is at my level (blitz noob with the science
education of a particularly dim sheep).

Does anyone know of any tutorials I may be missing? I feel like I need 'Baby's First Book of Textures and Lighting' - the sort of thing that says "this is a lightmap and it's used for.....and you basically make one by....." or shows you how to light a level in different ways. And lays out simply what the different options are for creating shadows and the performance hit of each method.

I'm only really interested in the capabilities of B3d itself. I don't want to have to buy/learn another addon atm.

I'm not looking to become an expert on this side of things, I just want to feel I've grasped the basics so I can add a little more character to my levels. I'm happy to learn by playing around with blitz - I just need a bit of a push in the right direction.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#2]
blitz3d doent do lightmapping unless you use a lightmapper like YAL in the code archive. normally you would use a modelling program to lightmap your level.

The blitz3d format (.b3d) supports 2 UV sets these hold the information about how the textures are displayed on the model. the first one is used to display the texture and you can use the second to store the shadows.

its easyer if you use something like 3d world studio because it does it all for you.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#3]
What's YAL? can you link to it?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#4]
Or look here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?cat=4