nested types (a la rpg inventory system)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/nested types (a la rpg inventory system)

DQ(Posted 2007) [#1]
hiya. haven't visited the blitz language in a while and trying to dust off the skills.i was trying to write a simple inventory (well, really a shop ) system for a equally simple rpg type game.

i have types set up for various items (potions/swords/armor/etc). something like this:

Type potion
	Field ID%				;id number associated to the potion
	Field name$				;name of the potion
	Field potType%			;type of potion 1=heal,2=buff, etc
	Field value%			;buy/sell value of potion
End Type

then have a type set up for the shop

Type shop
	Field ID%
	Field name$
	Field owner$
	Field potions.potion
	Field armors.armor
	Field swords.sword
	Field sellerGold%
End Type

and here is where my brain is sorta getting fuzzy:

;make a potion
potions.potion=New potion
potions\ID=1234
potions\name="healing elixir"
potions\potType=1
potions\value=20

;make a shop
shops.shop=New shop
shops\ID=4567
shops\name="house of goods"
shops\owner="yo mamma"

pretty much, i'm trying to achieve creating the items and assigning them to the shopkeepers shop. does that make any sense? i suppose the same would be true for a "inventory" system (like what items are being carried on a player, etc. right?

any direction here would be nice,or a codearchive/thread i've missed in my search.

thanks much.

edit: i guess i overlooked this link: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=41453 i'm guessing this would be the way to do what i'm thinking?

H&K(Posted 2007) [#2]
An array is a "Box" to store things in so.......

A List is a "List" of things so .......

Basicly, make potions field of Shop either an array or a list. If you have a small number of shops, with a limeted shelf space, go for an array. If shelf space isnt limeted then list

Note
Maybe you would be better with a "types of Potion Type", then each potion would have a field for typeofpotion

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#3]
@DQ: If you will need to perform checks against the players inventory you might want to check out --> this. I'm using this system to perform checks against everything the Player can do in my FPSRPG game.

Use the Item's ClassID and ID to point to a specific Custom Type record with more details. A simple Select...Case should do the job easily.

Example:

DQ(Posted 2007) [#4]
fan-freakin-tastic. thanks..
i'll take this and run with it and see where i get. :D