.x vs .b3d

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/.x vs .b3d

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#1]
I was wondering, what's better, the .x or .b3d format? The b3d extensions put aside, because i can't get them to work. I was wondering about the .x format because .b3d can't handle many 3ds materials, critical ones that i need, can .x hold complex materials such as baked, multi/sub materials? Any help is appreciated highly.

b32(Posted 2007) [#2]
For blitz3d, .b3d is the best. It supports all Blitz3d functions, such as multitexturing and bones.
The latest .x formats can also handle bones, however, Blitz3d uses the directx7 .x format, that is more limited. You can compare it to .3ds.
So on the one hand, .b3d is the best, however in terms of speed or memory usage, you could consider keeping some models in .x or .md2 format.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#3]
k, I'll just stick with .b3d, but could you tell me what the alternative to a baked/multi/sub-object material is?? I need to use it to impliment a shadow-map.

b32(Posted 2007) [#4]
Errm .. I don't exactly know, but have you seen Maplet ? It exports it's .b3d models with a texture and a lightmap. So it should be possible.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#5]
maplet can't import, and no way am i re-modelling it, there's easier ways lol.

Zmatrix(Posted 2007) [#6]
Look for b3d pipeline,(in the creation/tools forum) it should let you export baked multi texture b3d's from Max ( i assume thats what you are modeling in , since you said 3ds)

Sam

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#7]
you need giles:

www.frecle.net

Its the daddy for b3d and lightmaps

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#8]
There is a way of getting baked shadows out of any 3d program if you have ulltimate unwrap 3d, but it is a bit long winded

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#9]
You will lose any dynamic effect of those materials anyway. Only what you can make into A SINGLE texture can be used.

At least if you want to lightmap it afterwards as blitz only supports 2 UV sets.