Getting Good

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Getting Good

mintybreath(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi everyone. I am new to blitz. I dont know much code, only very basic. I was just kinda wondering. All of you on this site, how long did it take to get as good at coding as you all are, and what did you do to get that good?

I was just kinda wondering, because i find coding hard at the moment, and it is getting easier in time, but i just want to know, about how long it took for all you awesome coders to get as good as you are, giving me an idea of how long it will take me.

Thanks very much!

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
I don't think there's any simple answer to this - it depends how you define "good", so people are probably just going to tell you how long they've been doing it for etc.

I started programming in 1986, used Amstrad Locomotive BASIC for a few years, about six years Amiga programming in AMOS Pro and I've used Blitz on PC since its release in 2000.

So, 21 years, for me.

I had a couple of Amiga games published; International Golf and World Golf, loads of Licenceware stuff, and ten published PC games. Haven't really made much money until I started writing PC games with Blitz.

[edit] This should've probably gone in General Discussion.

Bukky(Posted 2007) [#3]
Practice makes perfect.

I started coding back in high school when my school offered an AP C++ series of courses. I did a bit of it in college too, but I learned the most when a buddy and I decided to try and make some casual games using Blitzmax. Just set little goals for yourself, get one or two things figured out each day, and then you'll have a game in no time. Though I would probably recommend starting with Blitzmax rather than Blitz3d....theres a lot less to worry about with 2D games.

The fact that the community on these sites is so awesome is a huge plus too. It would've taken me much longer to get my games out if it wasn't for these forums.

Now I work fulltime as a game developer.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#4]
It really depends what "getting good" is. I've been using blitz3d for around 3-4 months and i can whip up good programming rapidly, i suck at constructing algorithms though. I have however been at coding for a hobby for 2 years now. Blitz3d is EASY :).

big10p(Posted 2007) [#5]
I've been messing about with coding for many years but there's still much for me to learn. You'll never get to a ' I've mastered it and know everything' point - there's always something new to learn.

However, you should be able to start writing simple games fairly quickly. You just get better and better with time/experience. Start simple and work up from there.

You've chosen the right language, tho. People on these forums will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have, too. ;)

_33(Posted 2007) [#6]
Started coding basic in 1984 on COCO 2 Basic and IBM PC with BASICA, then learned on my own ATARI 130XE in 1985 with Assembly, Basic XL/XE, Action!, and took some computer courses since then...

Ked(Posted 2007) [#7]
All of you on this site, how long did it take to get as good at coding as you all are...

Well for me... Just kidding. I'm still learning. But I ask questions on here; I do little test programs and applications then add on to them like crazy; And I ask questions on here. =)

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#8]
I've been coding for a while and I still suck. I can usually do what I want, but I see awesome code samples from other people and have no idea what's going on.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#9]
Welcome to blitz :D

Personally I dont think I will ever master any language fully but after 1-2 years i was at a point where i could honestly say i was fully 'comfortable' in b3d and could code quicky, knew 99% of commands and what they do, debug, analyse problems quickly and knew *most* of the quirks.

I have been programming for many years which i guess helped considerably as the fundemental (modern) programming structure and rules are the same in almost all languages. Im always learning new stuff though so am certainly no 'guru' but thats 50% of the fun isnt it :)
If you usethese forums you will learn blitz in no time as its a great community and (most) people really want to help. I learned loads from these forums.

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#10]
Been coding in c++ since 6th grade, got into blitz last year, so um.......3 years for me? Hardly say Im any good at anything though ;)

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#11]
i find coding coming easer now, i started with blitz, as heard about it somewhere, about 7 months ago..

before that i was doing alot of HTML, (don't know if that counts)

at the moment i'm trying to learn C++, heck, if blitz3d was written in C++ then it must be a very good language..

still learning, on my 4th book about it, so much more strict then blitz... hehe :D

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#12]
i'm not a very good programmer yet either, but studying the command reference and it's examples, and asking questions in the community really helps. Blitz is really easy to learn and understand (I'm only 13!) so keep working! Also mess around with code it really helps.