Where to start?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Where to start?

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#1]
I want to actually create a game one day, not just dream about it.

But, I have no idea what to do first. I have the idea for the game, but I don't know what to do next.

Any help?

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#2]
Get a good idea on what you want to do..

Start thinking on the componets of the game, and a idea on how to program them

Write them down

And tackle each componet one by one, untill its done.. for example, a plant growth program would be the following:

1. a basic structure to pick plants and grow them
2. a database include file that has all the types of plants and the information about them IE how long they take to grow.
3. a time system to keep track of your plants growth, a way to store a date in a external file, so it can be read and compared with the current time to retrieve a age.
4. a way to get over a timezone differences.
5. graphics polish, UI stuff

my project is kinda like the one above, except its a fuel simulator type deal thing..

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yeah, I looked at the time post thingy.

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#4]
Any more help?

CodeOrc(Posted 2007) [#5]
I would suggest not trying to make the next Halo or GTA...that would be futile.

You MUST first understand the basic structure of B3D and overall general programming.

Make a list of all the assets (pictures/models/etc) you would need for your game.

Then ask yourself, is this and FPS, or 3rd Person, or maybe a simple 2D puzzle game?

Then head over to the Code Archives because chances are someone has graciously already submitted a framework for you to get started with.

Then download the code that closest matches your project and start changing/adding stuff. You will quickly see what does what and why. Be sure to use the help docs.

Then after you get familiar with it- ask in this forum how to make a certain portion of the re-worked code to perform differently- but please don't ask for free help every time you post.

Do your best to offer as much info on your question, and do your best to have already tried to resolve your problem before asking. Asking is ok, but he/she who trys to help themselves, receives lotsa' love :)

Ok, that's my 2 cents :)

_33(Posted 2007) [#6]
You're better off coding some small examples and tests on your own before going any further and make sure you understand what you want to do and how it would be possible to do.

Also, get familiar with the 3rd party tools that you could use for your projects.

Don't side track!

Focus and complete your ideas, and focus on very simple objectives. Sometimes you might think it is simple but it may reveal to be quite a task, other times you migth think it's very difficult or undoable, but in fact it's the easiest thing.

Patience.

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#7]
Well, Im the only sloppy one here, I just start ;)

Just code, and code, and make some art, then code a little bit more.

Theres alot of coding involved.
Just don't get side tracked.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#8]
Just start doing something.

My current game only has one of the main characters walking around on a black screen, following where the user clicks the mouse. Sounds very basic, but its allowed me to write the type structure which controls the player characters (there are more than one), their movement, animation and inertia, and I've also got delta timing in there at an early stage.

The next step is to add in gravity and collisions (once there's some other graphics to collide with). When that's done I'll be able to make a start on placing other objects and allowing the player to interact with them.

My game won't *look* like a game for a couple of months at least.

OK its a bit vague but the point is, it started from a single image drawn on the screen, and it won't start to come together for a while yet, but come together it will.

You won't get anywhere by wasting your days on here, asking people "where do i start?". Just get on with it.

SoggyP(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hello.

Look at the space invaders example at the top of the beginners page. Everything is done in code and should be quite easy to understand. If you'd like you can add to it (saying that, nobody else has for 10 months...)

Goodbye.

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#10]
Thanks Gfk, that post really helped me.

T David(Posted 2007) [#11]
HA!! Im at this step too. Well, maybe not new. But I went back to learning again. I decided to make a tutorial from a students point of view. Im definetly NOT a teacher. Im just a student like you, and started a topic from students eyes.

http://www.syntaxbomb.com/forum/index.php/topic,605.0.html

T David(Posted 2007) [#12]
ps, maybe you should join, and we could learn this entire coding there. The site is always having fun :)