Music?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Music?

GrayKnight2k(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi all,

Could anyone recommend an alternative format to .WAV while maintaining the ability to use the same sound commands in Blitz3D? I am storing custom music tracks in .WAV format but they are making my game way too large. I could convert to mp3 but I think it's much harder to loop the songs? Please let me know, thanks.

Gk2k

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#2]
ogg

The same as mp3 but better and royality free, to convert use
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

bye

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#3]
You can load MP3s and OGGs as though they are WAV files (with LoadSound, etc) and treat them as such. They can take a while to load, as they are not streamed as they would be with PlayMusic. I don't think looping would be a problem when played in this manner, as they are decompressed upon loading, effectively become a WAV in memory. I've certainly used them in this manner without a problem.

GrayKnight2k(Posted 2007) [#4]
This is fantastic. Thank you both.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#5]
MP3s are crap for looping sounds. When I was messing about with this years ago, there was always a small but noticable gap when the samples looped.

Use OGG. Actually use variable bitrate OGG (VBR). Same quality, much smaller file size. I'm assuming Blitz3D supports VBR OGG format because Blitzmax does.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#6]
Yep Oggy Oggy Oggy

Ogg Ogg Ogg!

That's what I would recommend too.

IPete2.