Hiding the media

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Hiding the media

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#1]
Yes, as you know, I'm a newbie and I'm finishing up my first big project now. A few of the assets I have in the game are not created by me and one of the authors wants to have his media not visible raw in the folder.
I guess what people usually do is to encrypt the media or something like that but, hey, I know NOTHING about these things. How does this work? Any tools to use? How does in work ingame?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
Take a look at Blitz Media Linker:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=121

GfK(Posted 2007) [#3]
Does Blitz Media Linker unpack to temporary files on hard drive? Because if it does, then its virtually useless.

Ok, maybe 'pointless' is a more accurate word than 'useless'.

Molebox is good, except it has issues in Win98, and it costs money. You could also convert your code relatively easily to Blitzmax + Blitz3D SDK. But again, costs money.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#4]
Does Blitz Media Linker unpack to temporary files on hard drive?
I don't think it does, but I'm not 100% certain of that, TBH.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#5]
big10p: a bit off-topic. i haven't been around on IRC much of late, but I might need a bit of Win98 testing done sometime soon if you're up for it?

My new game is barely started, but I have a main character walking about and stuff.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#6]
Sure. I didn't think publishers cared about win98 compatibility anymore, though?! :)

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#7]
i am using PackB3DLib. It reads files directly from memory.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#8]
Why not check out Molebox, that seems pretty good from what I hear.

You simply run Molebox and show it the folder where everything is - including your exe and it makes a new exe with everything contained within.

IPete2.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#9]
Does anyone know how these apps does affect the loadingtimes or unpackingtimes? Is it significant because my loadingtimes are critical already.

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#10]
MoleBox compresses the media (if you want), so it's faster to load and takes less HD-space. Of course decrypting takes some time, but I doubt that there's any noticeable speed difference.

http://www.molebox.com/for-game-developers.shtml

GfK(Posted 2007) [#11]
Sure. I didn't think publishers cared about win98 compatibility anymore, though?! :)
They don't. I do. ;)

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#12]
Molebox was just the great software I was looking for. As I don't have a clue what's going on behind that software I am just stunned it worked so well and was so easy to handle.

thanks!