DDS & Nvidia?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/DDS & Nvidia?

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've read several posts on the forum regarding DDS textures, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question?

I use PSP & I have the DDS plug-in which is apparently written by Nvidia themselves... when I export a texture, using the plug-in, as a DDS with mipmaps it creates (obviously) a non-square image... ie width=heightx2... yet Nvidia cards reputedly dislike non-square textures?... will an Nvidia card only read the square (original) part of the image as a texture (as 3DMax seems to do)... and ignore the rest of the mipmaps until it needs them?

Also... in the PSP plug-in there is an option to export an image as a DDS without mipmaps (square)... I've read that if Blitz3D detects that a texture is a DDS, it will switch off it's own mipmaps and use those in the DDS image... but what happens if I save the image as a DDS without mipmaps?... does Blitz revert to it's own mipmapping?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#2]
if you turn off mipmaps in DDS files, blitz does not use mipmaps at all (within dds).

i have a 8800 gts and i have no problems using dds files which are non square, but power of two. i am using the latest beta (buggy) drivers from nvidia.com.

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks t3K|Mac... I think thats just about answered my question... I realised the texture had to be power of 2... I just wasn't sure how the card recognised the rest of the image... I take then that it sees it as a series of smaller power of 2 images & not as one overall rectangle image!