CountHostIps() Question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/CountHostIps() Question

Ked(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hey. I am trying to make a LAN Messenger and I was wondering what CountHostIPs() actually returns. Does it return everyones' IP addresses who are hosting something or does it return only your's?

Thanks

Ked(Posted 2007) [#2]
bump

Dabz(Posted 2007) [#3]
Searched... 30 seconds later... Answered:-

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=29675#314440

Note Stoop Solo's post.

And... thank you!

:)

Dabz

Wayne(Posted 2007) [#4]
Returns the count of YOUR local IP interfaces

Ked(Posted 2007) [#5]
Returns the count of YOUR local IP interfaces

Thanks, that answers my question and here is my second:
Is there anyway to return the IP's of someone who is on a networked game that you made?

Wayne(Posted 2007) [#6]
The someones are clients, and they can use the broadcast address, and send a message on a specified port.

Your application will listen on that specified port, and when you receive the message you'll have the IP, and the message data ie might say 'Hi'

Like most things there are others ways to do the same thing.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#7]
I'm sorry, I was rereading what I had put down earlier and noticed that I had asked my question wrong. How would you connect to an LAN networked computer that is using the same port and same program without having the IP address of said computer? There we go. Sorry about that once more.

Wayne(Posted 2007) [#8]
This example assumes one is using UDP.

I'd select a high port number like 32000 (so you don't interfere with other services that normally use lower port numbers), and have the program listen for a message.

If I didn't receive a message within say 20 seconds send a message out port 32000 with the broadcast address (see code archive).

Sending a message using the broadcast IP is like sending the message to all 255 computers on your subnet.

Once the listening computer receives the message, the listening computer will have the senders IP.

Does that help, or do you need actual code ?

Ked(Posted 2007) [#9]
Well I'm using TCP. Do you have code for that?

Thanks for this, by the way