How to create an online MMORGP

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How to create an online MMORGP

Chaosspear(Posted 2007) [#1]
I know that blitz can create a MMORGP But I just cant rap my mind around how to do it. any suggestions would be welcomed.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#2]
Make a terrain and a small man to run around with. Start there.

If anyone wants to flame this guy do me a favour, he wants to have fun and try, so help him do so.

puki(Posted 2007) [#3]
http://www.realmcrafter.com/

RealmCrafter1 is Blitz3D based and there is/was a source code version.

I think that the new version is no longer Blitz3D - but you could start with RC1.

This option could remove a lot of the headache of doing something from complete scratch.

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#4]
My advice:

-Plan everything out.
-Make game.
-Charge everyone but me $15.99 per month.

The idea is really just a regular game, but with servers. Other players "send" content through the servers. The servers create enemies, etc. Think about what you want the servers to do, and what you want to be done on each players' machine (if, for instance, the player tries to walk forwards, but you have to tell the server that first and then receive a message from the server in return, it could get slow).

It'll seem a lot easier once you plan everything out.

I know I didn't really answer your question, but I hope that helped.

Paul Murray(Posted 2007) [#5]
Wasn't FreeWorld made in Blitz? And wasn't the source released?

*edit*

Yup, it was B3D

http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=42508#476293

Not sure where I heard about the source but I'm pretty positive I did...

Chaosspear(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks I was also wondering how you think I should do the online code.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#7]
The online code is a different concept which requires a lot of experience in programming. Have a look on code archives for a simple example.

Chaosspear(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thank you

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#9]
you will especially need to think of how you do your ghosting / object data sharing over network without sending stuff like a maniac as the players won't be able to play if you need 10-20kb/s traffic on each of them (beside the problem that you would need a 100m / 1000m connection to host the game with a few hundred online)

Chaosspear(Posted 2007) [#10]
I was thinking of sending their data on one string file that their computer would read and separate using the Instr function.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#11]
WOW Killer Part 1
WOW Killer Part2
and I think there was a Part 3 on CodersResource but it might have disappeared forever.

Do a search for this on Blitzcoder using archive search as there was a LOT of discussion.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#12]
nevermind