Terrain types?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Terrain types?

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#1]
Okay... another `Noob` question I guess... sorry!

But I've successfully used mesh terrains in both .3ds and .b3d formats... great!

... then I bought `Blitz Tree`... and apart from manually placing trees my best option for the type of terrain I wanted was to create a placememnt map... but... in order to do that I had to make my terrain a height-map & not a `physical` mesh model... and that worked equally great!

... But now... I want to use `Devil Childs` physics routine... so I included the code into my program and now I get informed that my terrain isn't a `mesh`??... obviously not!... it's a height map!... cos that what I need to use my tree placement map!

So... my question is... is there a way of making Blitz `think` a height-map terrain is a mesh?... or can `Devils`physics routine work with a height-map... or is there a way of creating a blitz tree placement map that will work with a mesh?

As you can probably guess... I'm struggling with terrain formats :-S

Thanks in advance for bearing with me :)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#2]
Yes. I'm sure lots of modellers and terrain editors include this feature, but doing it in code is the easiest way. I was going to suggest you write your own, and then I thought, actually if he's asking, he probably isn't sure how. Maybe I should write it for him. Then I thought, actually, this is kinda useful, someone's probably already written it.

And I was right.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1609

Ross did.

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#3]
I'll have a play around with that to see if it does what I need...

Thanks Gabriel :)

stanrol(Posted 2010) [#4]
yes

Rob the Great(Posted 2010) [#5]
Stanrol, you're a goof. Do you get some sort of high from bringing up forums that are from the ages of the dinosaurs?