What is the default font?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/What is the default font?

Fey(Posted 2007) [#1]
For the most part, I'm happy with the default font. However I do want one the bits of text I'm putting on the screen to be larger so I'm using LoadFont and SetFont to faciliate that.

I assume inorder to reset the font back to it's original style/size for the other pieces of text I have to LoadFont and SetFont again. What is the usual font? I need the name and size for it I think.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: If it helps clarify, right now I'm only loading the fonts when the player clicks "New Game" on my menu. The goal was to not have to load fonts 60 times a second. I'm also not interested in making a bitmap font at the moment, even if I do later embrace that. This whole project is based on my need to simplify things in order to just see if I can get somthing done.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#2]
Free all your fonts? FreeFont()?

Fey(Posted 2007) [#3]
Wouldn't I have to reload and reset it every single frame then? I don't want to reload (and free) a font 60 times a second if avoidable.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hmm, your right, i just took a shot at it, i'v never experimented with those commands yet.. Good luck with your question.

Fey(Posted 2007) [#5]
To be honest, I don't really know where my bottlenecks are and where they arn't. I'm not so good at efecient coding, as several of my clunkers, that won't see the light of day because of how few frames per second they run at, can demostrate. I'm sure at the moment my overuse of sprites is doing more damage then some simple font commands. I'm still curious though. It doesn't seem to be Arial, Times New Roman, Copperplate Gothic, Lucida Console, etc. I'm not sure what the full list I've tried has been. Quite a few though.

I'm about to give up for the night in case someone has an answer for me here by the morning.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#6]
I'm was pretty sure the default is Ariel 10 or 12pt but as you suggest this is wrong ..

Failing that - try this ....

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Load all your font's at the start of the program and switch between them with setfont when required. Never put the loading in the main loop - that'd just be silly!

Stevie

Fey(Posted 2007) [#7]
Of all the... lol, it ended up being Courier (14 point I believe). Probalby the only standard font I didn't get around to trying. Thanks for the link, that's a really interesting resource. It wasn't able to work out the font, but it linked to another site that asked me some 15 questions and then figured it out.