animation optimization

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/animation optimization

Nenad(Posted 2007) [#1]
It came to me after the creating process of making animation sequence in Pacemaker, and after learning that i can easily controll speed of animation programatically in Blitz3D: Does larger number of frames takes more memory that smaller number of frames, if we have same number of keyframes ?
Does b3d count in memory only keyframes? Because if not, it would be good way to save memory creating animation only with keyframes, and then slower animation programatically to adjust its appearance.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#2]
It's only the keyframes that are stored, so if you had 500 frames with 2 keys it would use (more or less) the same memory as 2 frames with 2 keys.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#3]
keyframe animation (bones) in b3d is memory friendly.

However - md2 animation does because it simply stores the vertex positions for the model at each 'key' frame (at least I'm pretty sure that is what it does) .

Nenad(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks, thats is what i wanted to know :)

Now I got my animation sequences into Blitz, but I have another problem... how to Animate some entity by Animate comand, and in the same time to MoveEntity (like this: I have jumping model in place, but i want him to move in direction in the same time...) ?

Tnx for patience with my noob questions :)

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#5]
Something like this:

If keydown(200)
MoveEntity blah,blah,blah
AnimateEntity
end if

Basicly, when you want it animated, well.. animate it :D

Nenad(Posted 2007) [#6]
Hmpfh, what happened to me is to have firstly sequence animated, and then moved - maybe move was in the loop - anyway i must research on this more, as the code will grow bigger with few animated and coded object inside a main loop...

Thanks!