Ideas for animating a combat sequence

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Ideas for animating a combat sequence

Leto(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm after some ideas/suggestions on two things (I tried searching the site). Context is turn-based RPG: acting out a combat sequence, i.e. executing an attack.

1. Damage indicator at certain point in a weapon's (e.g. sword) swing

This would be when Attacker swings weapon and mid-swing a damage indicator is produced (e.g. particles, floating amount "56") and the swing continues until end of animation sequence.

I was thinking of either manually running through the animseq and showing damage at certain frame (requires storing that specific frame number for every animseq); or splitting animation into two sequences, playing first, showing damage and playing second.

2. Weapon trail

Pretty common in games, that "whoosh" trail which follows a weapon's swing. Really not sure how to make this.

They often appear to be an arc of tris or quads. Perhaps I could check the position of the Attacker's hand joint at certain intervals and then place a sprite between current position and previous position?

Leto(Posted 2007) [#2]
I did find this about making a lightsabre but it's not quite what I'm after for a trail.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62822

More like this (but not as fancy):

Leto(Posted 2007) [#3]
I was hoping for some advice, particularly on the weapon trail, but maybe I am on the right track for now :)

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#4]
Can't say I know anything about the weapon trail.

Maybe particles, maybe a few big sprites, maybe extend the mesh, or maybe have a separate weapon trail mesh would all work, but I don't have a clue.

Leto(Posted 2007) [#5]
No worries, Buggy. Yeah I'm thinking some kind of mesh generation, probably adding quads at regular intervals (vertexes aligned to previous quad and weapon-hand current position) so that the trail progressively appears.

I'll have to experiment. Just ideas for the moment while I do some modelling.

Ben(t)(Posted 2007) [#6]
the flames look like a sprite with a step built in I have no I idea how the long line works though sorry.

Tranz(Posted 2007) [#7]
There's already code in the archives that'll handle sword trails for you.

I've ripped it out of the archive example and used Psionics famous ninja model to put together an example for you.

Grab the source with media here: http://www.geocities.com/tranz3d/swordtrail.zip

Leto(Posted 2007) [#8]
Ah nice one, thanks, Tranz. I should have done searches just with "trail" and I may've found it too :P

Scanning thru the code quickly it looks just right; I'll experiment with it when I get home.