light intensity problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/light intensity problem

sec05(Posted 2007) [#1]
hi, just want to ask is there any way to adjust the intensity of light in blitz3d?

I actually encountered this problem when I try to export light using the b3d pipeline in 3d studio max. I tried to adjust the multiplier value of the light in 3d studio max, and I found that any light intensity with a multiplier value of less than 1 makes the light turns cyan in color, which is not the kind of effect I want. Basically I'm trying to make a less brighter light that is white in color.

Another question I want to ask is how do you guys place lights in your projects? I mean what method do you guys use to position the lights in the game?

Thanks alot!

Cheers

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
Tried the AmbientLight command?

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#3]
seco5,

B3d is directx 7 so you have access to control ambient light and upto 8 other lights which you create using the createlight(x) command, where x can be 1,2,3 - see docs.

These are live lights and can be adjusted easily in code.

global lightsname = createlight(1)
positionentity lightsname,0,100,0
LightColor lightsname,0,100,200
LightConeAngles lightsname,inner_angle#,outer_angle#

Amongst others.

If you want lightmapping for your levels then you must check out "Gile[s]". It is probably THE best lightmapping and placement tool currently available for B3d stuff.

http://www.frecle.net/giles/

is where you will find it languishing! :) It is a fantastic product, you should definately try the demo.

IPete2.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#4]
Not sure what light you are talking about, if you mean dynamic lights or only lightmapped geometry. You may however alter the rgb color of the light instead of the intensity, especially for values less than 1.0:

An intensity of 0.5 may be the same as an RGB light color of:

If the color turns cyan when you alter the intensity then there may be a bug in the export plugin.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#5]
... and you can make them darken areas too, try lightcolor lightsname,-255,-255,-255.

Notice the minus sign there? This allows you to define 'negative' light intensity, so areas can be 'lit' with darkness - if you get my drift.

When playing around creating lights, I have always found it valuable to check out each light entity type as well, the type of light you choose to create will affect the area you are lighting differently - try it - experimemt. It is the best way to learn.

IPete2.

Ice9(Posted 2007) [#6]
Also mind the scale of your world smaller is better.
Maybe 1 blitz unit = 3 meters or something like that.
I've never figured out the optimal but this affects
lighting and 3d sound.

sec05(Posted 2007) [#7]
i see. Well I'm using colors to adjust the intensity of the lights now instead of using the multiplier option. It sure does the trick.

thanks alot everyone. :)