Surfaces in Relation to B3D Models

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Surfaces in Relation to B3D Models

BasicMonkey(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm trying to understand how the Blitz Engine deals with Models. A general search shows more surfaces = slower FPS. What's a surface in relation to a mesh model? From reading the Blitz Book it seems as thought a surface is like a nail that a mesh is attached to. A cube mesh for example would take 1 surface to be renderable in a single solid color? Now if I add a single texture to that cube does the Texture itself become an additional surface? It seems as Multi-texturing adds surfaces AKA like Photoshop can add layers in a drawing only built up on the mesh. How many surfaces does Blitz support or is it merely GPU or CPU dependant?

Brushes if I understand correctly are merely variables that hold parameters that can effect a surface by calling them by brush handle name? Ie. I'm sure some of you have played World of Warcraft, would a brush be some what equivalent to an Armor set name. Where you can call multiple brushes and they re-texture your player model accordingly over the default base mesh texture? As you can tell I'm more the artist than the programmer. Thanks for any clarification that you can provide me.

~John~

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#2]
A surface is every seperate texture and every seperate mesh child, even if it has the same texture.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#3]
Another way of viewing it is as follows:

A surface is a collection of vertices & triangles which have a specific material applied. The material could be just the default grey material, any applied textures or an applied brush. You could multitexture a surface (a collection of vertices/triangles) with up to 8 textures (layered) and it would be 1 surface.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#4]
To summarise:

brush = zero or more (upto 8) texture layers + color (& more)
surface = vertices + triangles + brush
mesh = one or more surface(s)
entity = heirarchy of meshes/pivots/bones/lights etc