skinning help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/skinning help

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#1]
how do i apply a skin? do i do it just as if it were a texture? (also, does blitz accept the .tga form for skins/textures??)

any help is much appreciated

ingenium(Posted 2007) [#2]
From the command reference: "Load texture command"-"Supported file formats include: BMP, PNG, TGA and JPG. Only PNG and TGA support alpha."
About the first question... hum... I am not really sure... but try to load the skin with 1+32+16 as attribute es. Loadtexture("skin.png",1+16+32)
If you want it alphed then 1+4+16+32 is the right combination...

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#3]
what's the 1+32+16 do?

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#4]
chwaga,

You need to be more specific.

When you speak about applying a skin do you just mean a texture, or do you mean if you have a character model, how do you skin and rig it.

IPete2.

ingenium(Posted 2007) [#5]
what's the 1+32+16 do?

1: color
16: Clamp U
32: Clamp V
16+32: To apply the texture in the "right" way... in a really simple explanation ;)

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#6]
chwaga,

You need to be more specific.

When you speak about applying a skin do you just mean a texture, or do you mean if you have a character model, how do you skin and rig it.

skinning a character model

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#7]
also, if i were to use 3ds max 8's UVW mapping system to apply a skin to a character, would it appear when loaded on b3d as a .3ds file?

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#8]
Ah good, right then, that's cleared up!

Yes it would, but only if the textures were in the same folder as the model and your path to the model was right.

So you need to make your mesh, use bones to build the skeleton, use the skin modifier to attach the mesh to the bones, adjust the envelopes to get the right vertex weighting set up and then animate the character. You can use helpers as anything which is 'hidden' in Max will not be exported using the b3d Pipeline exporter.

UW Unwrap the mesh having set up the smooth groups, alocate textures appropriately.

Export just the charatcer skinned rigged mesh as a separate mesh i.e. export the mesh and bones but no animation.

Then develop each animation separately, export them as separate animations (export as *.b3d through b3d pipeline again) but with no mesh on the export, just bones and animations.

In the project I am involved in at the moment we are using one character mesh and several animations loaded in separatetly. These animations can be loaded separately to other characters as we develop them too, as long as their number of bones doesnt changes and the mesh is very similar to the original.

IPete2.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#9]
heh. i actually meant the NON technical term of skin, as in "the picture displayed across a mesh" not "the mesh bound and rigged across a bones IK system", i've already pretty much masterred the technical skinning process, i've just gotta work on NON technical skins now and how to display them in-game

yeah, i've modelled everything and set up a biped system with animations and all, but the envelopes were malfunctioning, so instead of skinning the character to the bones i attached each body part seperately to each bone to animate, when i save the file as .3ds will the bones be loaded into b3d too? or just the movements made by the character? (also, still, if i UVW mapped something in 3ds, will the mapping on the .max file appear is b3d when i load it as .3ds?)

thanks

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#10]
Go here... www.onigirl.com

and download the B3d pipeline, it really is the best way to export outta Max for the best pipeline into B3d.

We are currently working in Max 8 with no issues as far as I know.

The textures which you map in Max with b3d Pipeline (with B3d Pipeline installed you actually get special B3d options for materials inside 3ds Max and all your settings will come into B3d without any problems if exported using the Export using b3d pipeline.

Don't go the 3ds route, 3ds is notoriously unreliable, with texture filenames having to be 8.3 and animations etc at best it will be hit and miss, with B3d Pipeline it will be fine - but for characters you must use the SKIN modifier, not physique.

IPete2.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#11]
Note with .B3D Linepicks will check only the initial pose of an animation, not the visible state of the mesh. With 3ds and x Linepicks are accurate.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#12]
That's a very good and interesting point jfk - that's the same with built in collisions too isn't it?

IPete2

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#13]
it says that b3d pipeline is for max 6?

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#14]
Chwaga,

Yes it was last developed for max 6 I believe, but as my post states above, we are currently using it with Max 8, and it is really good. I don't think there is a better way to get animated models out of 3DS Max for B3d use, currently.

As jfk states also - should you need to linepick an animated model so you can add a decal ( bullet hole or something) then it may not be the best choice.

IPete2.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#15]
I have used Studio Max 7 and Ultimate Unwrap 3d, I export from Max to a .U3D file, then open in Ultimate Unwrap, deleted unneeded bones, rename them, etc and save to .b3d. This method worked perfectly for months, then I moved everything to my laptop and I cant create any new clothes for my models, they all animate with tears. To fix this I tried going with the B3D Pipeline, but it has problems loading a the b3dexport.dll at startup. I think Pipeline had problems with Studio Max 7.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#16]
im having that same problem on max 8, but ipete2 isnt having any problems

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#17]
Chwaga, try downloading the Max6_patch.zip from http://www.onigirl.com/pipeline/Max6_patch.zip

it worked for me, but alas, pipeline doesnt support Physique modifiers, lol. Oh well, back to the stone...

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#18]
UBER!!!

it works!

thanks a bunch!