2D vs 3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/2D vs 3D

Merrie(Posted 2007) [#1]
I currently own Blitz 3D, but Im mostly interested in developing a 2D game at this point. Would it be better to try to develop it on Blitz 3D or looks at Blitz Max or the basic Blitz?

Is there much different between the different versions other then operating system they can be used on?

steve_ancell(Posted 2007) [#2]
I personally prefer Blitz3D myself, there may be a point where you want to play around with the 3D side of things.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#3]
Blitz 3D has just about everything that Blitz plus has for games, so no point changing to that IMO.

Max can draw 2D images with realtime rotation, colouring and transparency effects but I think you can get packages to allow you to do the same with B3D.

Max is certainly the most powerful of the Blitz languages but it's really a matter of preference. Some people seem to hate it. I love it. The docs can be a bit daunting (+they're not that well written), but if you don't use all the bells and whistles, the code is hardly any different than doing 2D with B3D. The only way to find out if it is for you is to try the demo.

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#4]
Get yourself Sprite Candy or nSprite and you'll be in position to create fantastic 2D games, which will also be hardware accelerated. Blitz3D plus one of those two add-ons is probably the best system for "2D in 3D" game development.

Barney