Objects not appearing textured

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Objects not appearing textured

..................(Posted 2007) [#1]
I made and textured an interior of a building in milkshape 3D. However, when I put it in Blitz 3D, only a few of the things appear textured, and most of them are wrong. how do I fix the textures?

building= LoadMesh("P:\project1\building.x")
PositionEntity building,.5,-.5,1.5

That's what I'm using now^^

Danny(Posted 2007) [#2]
Sorry don't know milkshape, but try and make sure all your polygons have a maximum of 3 vertices. With some conversion software the texture's UVs get mixed up when the converter itself tripples your polys...

Hope this helps (but I wouldn't bet on it ;)

danny.

..................(Posted 2007) [#3]
Ok, I know all of my polygons have 3 vertecies. Anything else?

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#4]
I think a lot of people use the ultimate unwrap program to export milkshape stuff to b3d file format.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#5]
I don't advise using an absolute path to load your model:
building=LoadMesh("building.x")
..is better than what you have currently, because your path won't work on any other computers.

And make sure your textures are in the same folder as your model.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#6]
And try LoadAnimMesh("") instead of LoadMesh("") - even though your building isn't animated.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#7]
Is the file format DirectX (.x)?

..................(Posted 2007) [#8]
Yes

b32(Posted 2007) [#9]
So some of the textures do appear, only in a wrong way ? Maybe the UV coordinates are not exported correctly ? Are there any export settings ? Maybe there is a 'generate mapping coordinates' option.
You could start with a simple textured cube, for testing what textures can be exported. Blitz supports .bmp, .jpg, .gif, .png and .dds. I don't know if you are using other formats, if so, that could be the issue.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#10]
as skid mentioned. use Ultimate Unwrap3d to import/export a .b3d file.

1. make sure all of your textures are in the same directory as your mesh
2. make sure you polygons are facing the right way (the direction a poly is facing is called a 'normal'. if it is flipped, it will appear transparent in blitz.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#11]
If you are doing a really simple model in milkshape then I am guessing that what you have done is texture the inside of a cube perhaps? Unless you flip the normals of the polygons then they will not show up.

In milkshape3d there is a setting for each window which is 'show backfaces' - turn this on/off and you may be able to see in milkshape if any of your mesh's triangles are facing the wrong way.