What's wrong with this FPS prg?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/What's wrong with this FPS prg?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi all,

This was a fps prg written by rob cummings 2 or 3 years ago...
fpstest.zip

I just modify to another level file (room2_withLight.b3d) and player's starting position.
practicefps.zip

However,
1. I cannot walk upstair
2. the direction of Laser beam is wrong

Do you know why? What should be changed?

Thanks in advance.

b32(Posted 2007) [#2]
I think the controls are not done correctly. In the demo version of blitz, there is a FPS sample that you could check out. Also, there was a sort of contest a couple of days ago, for the best mouselook code. Maybe you can look at that thread to improve the controls ?

puki(Posted 2007) [#3]
Um, "Sammy" - if the one you have pictured is your version then the problem is very clear to me.

Your steps are far too big for the player to slide up.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#4]
@b32: Could you tell me which thread are you referring to?

@puki: Rob Cummings is using another approach with linepick, not sliding up/down.

Any ideas?

puki(Posted 2007) [#5]
Ah, yes - maybe so - I remember he was asking "sswifty" how to do 'stair walking'- "sswifty" had told him to use two spheres on a rotation basis, but come to think of it he did use a line-pick method.

However, bare in mind that if you are using that method here then your stairs are probably still too big - you might want to check the line-pick is starting high enough - ie not inside your steps - or even below them.

b32(Posted 2007) [#6]
The thread I mentioned is here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=66771

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#7]
Stairs is a common problem. Unless they're extremly flat you'll get troubles. This is where you should use little helper primitives in your level editor, in this case a ramp mesh, alpha=0.0 and unpickable. The ramp will then allow to walk upstairs. Try to keep the FPS controls as simple as possible (no hacks etc.), this way it will be easier to add real features.