Transparent textures for windows - how??

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Transparent textures for windows - how??

Lykaestria(Posted 2007) [#1]
How can I make Transparent or Translucent textures to use as glass on 3D Buildings? I've tried using a 3D model with a gif texture on it, but it just turned out white in Blitz3D. I've tried using black bitmap for transparency like is used for making sprites in Bllitz, but that didn't work either. Is there a way at all? :-/

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#2]
You can use for example .TGAs (or equivalent .DDS format) with alpha channel for texture and load it with appropriate flags.

You can also separate all your window polygons to a separate object and use entity alpha to get the desired level of transparency.

GIF won't work at all, so forget it.

Lykaestria(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks a bunch :-)

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#4]
PNGs are the best (unless you are using DDS).

Mattizzle(Posted 2007) [#5]
lol unless you are using DDS... so does that mean DDS is the best?

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#6]
DDS takes the least amount of VRAM with minimal loss of detail, so yes - .DDS is your friend. But you need softs that can save / export textures in DXT/DDS format and not many viewers can show those for example. ACDsee can't for example.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#7]
Also, you might not want the artifacts of DDS.

Sir Gak(Posted 2007) [#8]
What do you mean by the "artifacts of DDS"? Just curious.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#9]
DXT=DDS

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2007) [#10]
As per Beaker's picture a little explanation wouldn't go amiss here. Whenever you use compressed images, there is an algorithim which decompresses the file into a useable format. Due to the nature of the compression, there is some information lost so the picture loses quality. When the resulting compressed file is decompressed into memory, the result is small "artifacts" which, as seen above, are often noticeably square shaped since the original file is subdivded into smaller, equal segments.

In short, be aware of any compression you use if you want to avoid artifacts in your pictures. For the most part, they're fairly harmless but if you need pixel-perfect quality, PNG is probably your safest bet.