Blender --> Blitz3D Question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blender --> Blitz3D Question

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi all! Just a quick question. Recently I've been using blender to make some 3d models.

I was just wondering, I know I can add e.g. transparency and materials to my models, but do these things get exported along with the model?

Would Blitz be able to render these materials?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#2]
I use blender too.

The transparancy deprnding on what you wan to do. Best way, that i find is to always use 32bit PNG alpha textures. Then in blitz use the line:

texturefilter ".png",1+2+8 (or individually by "filename.png",flags)

Then all pngs will be transparent where you need them according to alpha channel. However be warned if any 24bit pngs created in paintshop pro 7 or similar, then the whole texture is half alpha.

If you want vertex alpha, a bit more complicated and you need to turn on +2+32 on the entityFX flags. You dont need vertex alpha if you are using texture transparency though, just make sure entityfx has backface culing on (is by default)

I use the default .X exporter with right handed and Y axis up.
If using parents and child meshes you need to 'apply scale and rotation' to each b4 export otherwise the bits go everyehere.

I also use giles for static stuff as a kind of finishing studio to get the textures right b4 export as B3D (which keeps all the flags you set up)

For animated i use fragmotion, and if a UV map is required i export the uvwire from blender and paint it up in PSP

Drekinn(Posted 2007) [#3]
I've been struggling with Blender -> Blitz3D for some time but with no success. :(

What I need to know is: In which format should I export my animated model from Blender and which program should I use to convert that exported model into .b3d format?

FragMotion certainly seems to be the answer for the conversion, but as yet I haven't been able to load in animated models (boned models especially); this could possibly be due to an incorrect export from Blender.

What exactly needs to be done to achieve success?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#4]
i find it better to just export the skin as x (like the vitruvian? man and then animate it in fragmotion(www.fragmosoft.com) or milkshape. Then save as b3d

Drekinn(Posted 2007) [#5]
I'd much prefer to animate within Blender. Have you discovered a way to export boned animations into FragMotion?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#6]
the x exporter is supposed to export bones i havent tried it to be honest, if not check google for python export scripts for blender, theres loads of them mabe you can find one like a poser format .mvh or something that works

Mattizzle(Posted 2007) [#7]
Did you ever find a solution, Drekinn?