Why Should I use a "better" IDE

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Why Should I use a "better" IDE

BLaBZ(Posted 2007) [#1]
Why should i use a "better" IDE such a Protean. How would it benifit me from using the traditional Blitz3D IDE?

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
Well, to single out Protean - it sorts the function list alphabetically.

This alone is a good enough reason to switch.

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#3]
There is function folding, makes the code alot more readible, multiple undos, different syntax highlighting options, projects, typing helpers...The list keeps going. Protean supports all of the above, as does most every ide out there for blitz (except the native one).

Warren(Posted 2007) [#4]
To quote your sig:

"To be the best you have to go beyond."

H&K(Posted 2007) [#5]
Because it has type member code completion

GfK(Posted 2007) [#6]
Because it has type member code completion
Last time I tried that in Protean it didn't work at all.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#7]
Whilst Protean is very well regarded by many, be aware there are a number of other IDEs also well regarded.

Essentially, you use a 'better' IDE because it has features that make your coding easier, more effective and more enjoyable. Whichever IDE you find that does that, use it.

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#8]
....don't use one of you don't want too...we don't care

Warren(Posted 2007) [#9]
You need a "better" IDE for one simple reason: more than 1 level of undo.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2007) [#10]
I think one of Protean's best features is the "Region" trick, allowing you to "collapse" your code, regardless or start and end point, without interfering with the code itself. So for instance, this:
While Not KeyDown(1)
...;this represents any code you might type
;#Region This is collapsed
Wend
;#End Region
Would collapse down to this:
While Not KeyDown(1)
;This is collapsed
You really have to put it into practice to fully appreciate its value. But the fact that Protean is free, and works with three versions of Blitz (B3D, B2D, and B+) is also reason enough for a download. I mean, if you're still happy with the standard Blitz IDE, then go ahead and stick with it. I'd still reccommend, though, that you at least give Protean (and indeed, any other IDE that catches your eye) a test run before deciding; you might be pleasantly surprised!

_PJ_(Posted 2007) [#11]
The Protean IDE link in your sig doesnt work, Adam. I get a 404 :(

Adam Novagen(Posted 2007) [#12]
Actually it's worse than that, Malice... the Protean site seems to be down, since I get the same error when accessing it from the Blitz toolbox! If you want Protean, though, just tell me & I'll send you the installer; being a careful computer user, I keep all useful APP installers in an easy-to-remember folder.

_PJ_(Posted 2007) [#13]
Please do, Adam!

This thread has actually converted me! I have always got on fine with the standard IDE but some of the functions mentioned could really make things easier for me!

email address is:

teutanis_support<AT>ntlworld DOTCOM

Many Thanks!

Adam Novagen(Posted 2007) [#14]
Protean is on the way, Malice - hope it helps.
(BTW, it's ADAM, not Adam... ^_^)

_PJ_(Posted 2007) [#15]
Many thanks, ADAM :D

Blitz123(Posted 2007) [#16]
Also, Protean has mouse gestures!I have got it so it only requires an upward flick to compile, a down one to undo...
And it has project mangement,integreated web browser...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#17]
Use IDEal

Blitz123(Posted 2007) [#18]
Whats IDEal?
¦-<?

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#19]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=66160

IDEal is a really, REALLY great new IDE for Blitz. It has a lot of similar features to Protean but also tons of neat new ideas besides. It will make your coding in Blitz 100% more productive, well it has with mine.

Check it out. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Jason.

Sir Gak(Posted 2007) [#20]
Hey, Boiled Sweets! How's this for a new username, inspired (perspired) by your username: Boiled Sweat.

Mmmmm, delicious! Drink up, lads!

_PJ_(Posted 2007) [#21]
Well Protean never arrived... not even into my junkmail :(

It's possible that the postmaster may have not liked it if it was a particularly large attachment (I dont know what the limit size is)