What Approach do you take?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/What Approach do you take?

BLaBZ(Posted 2007) [#1]
Im quite new to Blitz3d so I'm wondering the technique used by most people when it comes to designing a game.
Do you break down each part and do things in an orderly fashion?
IE:
1.Level
2.Graphics
3.AI
etc
Or do you usually wing it?
Thanks for the insight
ben

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
Generally just dive in and see what happens.

Danny(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hi Ben,

That's a heavy question, even though I'm not sure if you're talking about the technical approach of "how to build a game engine and all it's parts" or "how do you design a game that's fun to play"?

Eitherway, I'd suggest to:
# List the main parts that you need for your game(engine?), and their purpose.
# Then break those parts down to the smallest part. So you create managable chunks.
# Write down what needs to be done to create those individual parts.
# Try to anticipate the problems you might encounter and find (or create) a solution.
# Build small prototype to test and make sure your idea works.
# Then start on a framework (database) that you can use to build and fill in the parts.
# Then scrap everything and start again, but doing it right this time :)))

Hope this helps ;)

d.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#4]
Personally I'll always build a quick prototype first - simply to see if an idea/ gameplay concept works. There is no point whatsoever in all that forward planning if you're idea turns out crap or unworkable.

Once I have a proof of concept prototype then I tend to start again from scratch with a much clearer plan of how everything will fit together and all the functionality which is required. A to-do list is always a good idea at this stage so that you can track your progress.

I have to confess that front-end / menus stuff is always last for me 'cos it bores me to tears ;)

Stevie

H&K(Posted 2007) [#5]
I used to just jump in. And when I was younger, and games where smaller then that was good enough. Now though if I follow this path, I find that Im going back all the time and redoing things so that they will work with the more resent stuff Ive done.

So now, I write down everything that I want to do, and write down how I intend to do it. It doesnt really matter in which order (Level, Graphics, AI etc), I just have to write it all down before hand

Gord(Posted 2007) [#6]
I get obsessed with designing levels, most of which are later scrapped. This can become a hobby in its own right, so I would say design only part of your level and add more when you get fresh ideas.Do some programming in between.

BLaBZ(Posted 2007) [#7]
What is a game engine? I thought Blitz was the engine.

puki(Posted 2007) [#8]
Blitz is a language - a tool - you have to craft your game engine with it.

You say you are new to Blitz3D, but are you new to coding as a whole? The answer to this affects your original question.

BLaBZ(Posted 2007) [#9]
Yes Im generally new to it as a whole. Ive dabled around in other languages such as c++ and PHP but nothing really serious.