Little or Big Scenes?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Little or Big Scenes?

Merrie(Posted 2006) [#1]
This is my question, and at this point in my training Im not sure how this would be handled coding wise but...

My eventual game concept would be better if I had little zones, that connected via a teleport or other 'hotspot' rather then one large terrain.

Would little, connected zones be better as far as speed on the engine, or just put it all on one terrain?

Thanks!

H&K(Posted 2006) [#2]
Lots of little zones can in the end always be bigger than one big zone. But how big could lots of big zones be?

The smaller the area the faster it would be. But download the demo of terred, and see how fast that is.

Merrie(Posted 2006) [#3]
That sounds like a riddle :) Let me clerify a little bit, this is a island setting, there will be starting 6 areas, they are not going to be very big, a beach scene, a Inn, things of that nature as it is chat based.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#4]
Link
http://www.blitz3dfr.com/phpfrench/request.php?33
Download it, and see how fast your computer is, then desicde.

Merrie(Posted 2006) [#5]
Sadly I do not speak French (The website) so Im not sure what your referring to. I own a copy of T.Ed the terrain creator, is that what your referring to?

Thanks

H&K(Posted 2006) [#6]
If you look at the side of the screen there is a link for "Terraed", this is like T.ed a terrain editor. It is in B3D, and it would show you how good your computer would be at doing the whole island in 3d.

Now, yes, it will obviously be faster to not do the whole island in one go. But if its fast enough...
Look at say farcry, were the whole island is rendered in one go, but as you pass the cheackpoints the enimies are then put in place.

(That is its one scene, but the actors are put in as you appraoch each bit)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#7]
I think it really depends on a lot of factors. If for example your island is made of a single mesh, and if for example the sandy beach surface is spread all over the island (just like all other surfaces, eg: trees or rocks etc.), then I'd say: No way. In this case each Renderworld will have to iterate trough each and every polygon, relardless if they are within the camaerarange or not, or if they are behind the cameras back, for that matter.

I would suggest to use a simple yet effective method named Clusterisation. This will load the entire island as a single mesh, then cut it in pieces. Now parts of the island can be skipped from the RenderWorld process, therefor it's much smoother, faster. Even if your viewrange is almost eternal ( so you may see the entire island from some spots) then you'll still be able to skip what's behind the cameras back.

There's some basic code for clusterisation in the archives.