Carrara 4

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Carrara 4

Merrie(Posted 2006) [#1]
Does anyone use Carrara 4 for their modeling, terrains etc with Blitz 3D, if so how is it. I just recently got it, and am learning the software.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

SkyCube(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hi Merrie,

I currently own Carrara 5 Standard. I have used it for some simple terrain modeling and works well with Blitz (export the terrain as .3ds format). Don't know about version 4 though (although I don't think there is that big a change). However, as an animation app it's not compatible with Blitz, as the only format B3D can read is .3ds (Carrara does not export .md2 or .b3d or .x) and, as I have recently learned, that format is not suited well for animation, or at least, boned animation.

SkyCube(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hi Merrie,

I currently own Carrara 5 Standard. I have used it for some simple terrain modeling and works well with Blitz (export the terrain as .3ds format). Don't know about version 4 though (although I don't think there is that big a change). However, as an animation app it's not compatible with Blitz, as the only format B3D can read is .3ds (Carrara does not export .md2 or .b3d or .x) and, as I have recently learned, that format is not suited well for animation, or at least, boned animation.

As a modeling app, Carrara has met my standard. The simple interface and modeling tools are everything I could ever want in a 3D app. The learning curve is much shorter than other softwares.

Hope this helps.

Merrie(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks Skycube, I switched back over to AC3D, I understand it better, and am learning quickly. I am trying to decide if I need to get a good UV unwrap for texturing and using Fragmotion for boning and animation.