How to use antialiasing

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How to use antialiasing

Lagrange(Posted 2006) [#1]
I donīt understand the antialiasing command. When I write AntiAlias 1 in my code I canīt see any difference. The edges of the meshes look like before. Can someone help me?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
Antialising might be forced off in your graphics card settings.

Lagrange(Posted 2006) [#3]
I checked the settings of my graphics card and I saw that it depents on the running program if antialiasing is switched on or off. And when I run games (real games like battlefield) then antialiasing works well. Maybe I could set the values in the graphics card settings, but then it would be the same for all applications.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
You using an Nvidia card by any chance?

Seem to recall a long-standing issue with Blitz antialiasing and (i think) some NVidia cards/drivers.

Lagrange(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yes, I have a Nvidia card.
Sorry, but I need always a longer time for my answers, because my english is not good and I donīt know the meanings of the buttons īPostī and īPreviewī at the bottom of this page

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
Antialiasing in Blitz3D is dodgy (unreliable). People have been complaining about this for ages. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. I don't think it's just an nVidia thing, either. It used to work fine on my old nVidia card, until I updated the drivers.

Lagrange(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks for the reply. Do you know anything I could do to smooth the edges of meshes without antialias?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#8]
i have ATI and antialiasing in b3d doesn't work. so i think we have to live with it.

force your graphicscard to do aa. thats the only way i think.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#9]
If aliasing is that bothersome, I guess the best thing to do is use a higher res screen mode?!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#10]
try 'smoothing' or 'bevelling' the meshes in your 3d modeller

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#11]
smear vasalyne over your screen - sorry, actually you could try a variation on the motion blue effect in the code archives.