Recording Blitz3D created 'movies'

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Recording Blitz3D created 'movies'

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi, lets just say I create 3 cubes that spin at varying rates and I want to incorporate the spinning cubes as video as intro to an app, would I be safer to:

try and digitally capture the live rendering (how ?)
or simply create a blitz 3d executable that'd display for
it's duration before handing back over to the main app,

thanks,

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think both ideas are overkill for such a simple intro. The movie could potentially add a good 10-20 meg onto your zip and an initial executible is not a good idea imo.

I would just have a function which displays and renders your intro within the main executible.

Stevie

Matty(Posted 2006) [#3]
I think he means he wants to have an app - a non blitz3d app like a vb one or something, which displays spinning cubes or other 3d effects as an intro to the start of the app. In that case calling the b3d executable from within the app may be an easy way of doing it. Rendering as a video is not too difficult - save the screen buffer (front or back) each frame as a bitmap and use something like virtualdub (free) to create an avi and then windows xp moviemaker to encode it as a wmv file which your app should be able to play..although blitz3d can only play avi and mpeg formats.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#4]
Sorry, ignore me ... as you were ;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#5]
playing movies will most likely produce codec problems. It isn't that easy to find a codec that is installed on most computers. IMHO the best solution is to test if the codec is installed (in blitz: openmovie doesn't return zero) and if it's not then offer the installation of the codec.

If the Blitz exe can be embeded properly in the VB window then I'd say this is the best solution. There may be problems with windows vista and limited support for DX7 tho.

BTW in the codearchives / userlibs section there's some blitz code to save an avi directly, with sound if you like.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#6]
thanks folks.