Loading DDS

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Loading DDS

JonasL(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm trying to load an .x model with a .dds texture in Blitz3D, but it doesn't seem to work. The LoadTexture() returns zero. Does Blitz3D support the DDS format? I read somewhere in the forum that it does, but the documentation for LoadTexture() doesn't list it!

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#2]
It does if you have the latest version installed. Are you loading the texture seperately then applying to your model?

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#3]
On-line docs updated.

JonasL(Posted 2006) [#4]
@Beaker: Thanks! I wasn't running the latest version. Now I'm updated. ;)

I just need to load the .x model into Blitz3D to convert it to the .b3d file format using a nice file utility that someone was kind enough to post in code archives. However, it seems like that tool doesn't preserve the animation. When I read the resulting .b3d file back and try to animate I get an "entity has no animation" error. The static model displays just fine.

Any idea how I can convert the model to .b3d and preserve animation data? I think there are bones and stuff in the .x model!

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#5]

Any idea how I can convert the model to .b3d and preserve animation data? I think there are bones and stuff in the .x model!

http://www.unwrap3d.com ?

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#6]
..or pacemaker or fragmotion.

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#7]
Actually pacemaker doesn't import animated X it seems. :/

JonasL(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks! Downloaded and registered Unrwap! Great application, even greater support! I managed to convert the X files, but it turns out they use bone scaling! The animation did not play back correctly, since MiniB3D doesn't support bone scaling. Posted Unwrap support and got some great advice on how to handle the bone scaling issue.

I have also tried converting to a host of other file formats to test the models in Irrlicht (mod for BlitzMax), but the file loader functions are still way too buggy. In fact, I have not found any file format that actually works yet! Don't get me wrong, it will be a great engine once you can load any models into it (besides those that come with the example code).

IMHO it is better to have like three file formats that actually work, like in Blitz3D! ;)

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#9]

Great application, even greater support!

Yup, UUW3D is one of the few one man made tools that gets full 10/10 from me. Blitz3D is another of course... :)