Snow Sprite

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Snow Sprite

Rabies(Posted 2006) [#1]
I want to make it look like it's snowing in my game.
What would be the easiest way?
I tryed making an array of sprites however
it didn't work. I'd hate to have to CopyEntity
a million times.
Thanks for your time

Rabies

b32(Posted 2006) [#2]
The easiest way, I think, is to create a sprite place it in front of the camera, parent it to the camera and then use a few layers of transparent 'snow' texture. Then, in your main loop, use PositionTexture to move the layers down. If you give each layer a different speed, it will give a parallax effect. However, using this method, the snow will be in front of everything else.

Rabies(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks b32 I'll give it a try.

AJirenius(Posted 2006) [#4]
One suggestion if you choose to use that technique is to let the Positiontexture also move sideways if the camera is moving sideways otherwise it will look really strange when camera is eg rotating but the same peaceful snow is falling just as the camera didnt rotate at all.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#5]
YOu could of course use one of the many particle systems in the code archives.

Flat texture 'scrolling' will only appear as flat snow and only in one vertical plane.

With a particle system you can have it snow within any chosen distance of the camera, making it seem ike the snow is thick and heavy falls are achievable.

Particle candy does a very nice snowfall, as does any decent particle system. You could even make your own, using types and a single image of a snowflake.

IPete2.

Rabies(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'm not gonna be able to try them until the weekend.
So I'll let you all know how it gos then.

Thanks again.
Your all great. :D