vertex colors?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/vertex colors?

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#1]
How does blitz decide how to color the texture/cube when you enable vertex colors? Does it use uv coordinates?

Graphics3D 800,600,0,2
SeedRnd(MilliSecs())
cube = CreateCube()
EntityFX(cube,2)
For i = 1 To CountSurfaces(cube)
	surf = GetSurface(cube,i)
	For i = 1 To CountVertices(surf)
		VertexColor(surf,i,Rand(0,255),Rand(0,255),Rand(0,255))
	Next
Next
campiv = CreatePivot()
camera = CreateCamera(campiv)
MoveEntity(camera,0,0,-10)
RotateEntity(cube,45,45,45)

While Not KeyDown(1)
	If KeyDown(203) Then TurnEntity(campiv,0,1,0)
	If KeyDown(205) Then TurnEntity(campiv,0,-1,0)
	If KeyDown(200) Then TurnEntity(campiv,1,0,0)
	If KeyDown(208) Then TurnEntity(campiv,-1,0,0)
	RenderWorld()
	Flip()
Wend

b32(Posted 2006) [#2]
Not sure if I understand what you mean, but when you enable vertex colors, each vertex gets its own color. A vertex is a point in 3d space. The triangles between the vertices are shaded between three colors, one for each corner.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2006) [#3]
The default vertex colors are 255 but you can change them in the 3d app if you create your own mesh.

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#4]
Then howe come on each of the faces of the cube, if you take one vertex, each face has a different color coming from it? One vertex seems to have multiple colors, one for each traingle it is attached to.

b32(Posted 2006) [#5]
Then that mesh is unwelded, that means that each triangle has its own vertices. Two vertices can be exactly in the same spot.

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#6]
That clears things up a bit....trying to test with Blitz cubes won't work...neither will most any other blitz mesh, they all seem unwelded :(

Thanks everyone!

b32(Posted 2006) [#7]
Here is a MeshWeld function from the archives: http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1377

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#8]
I will just make my own cubes...not that hard. Even with his stuff it still does not seem to work 100%. This way I will have more control over the cube anyways.