BSP files

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/BSP files

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#1]
What are BSP files? Is there any special reason to load/create BSP files and use them with Blitz3D
Where I can find some free BSP files to test

Thanks

AJirenius(Posted 2006) [#2]
Correct me if Im wrong but:

BSP is a format that is very suitable for indoor (and some smaller outdoor)maps. It is a format that's been there for a while and supported by lots and lots of mapeditors (Worldcraft, Hammer etc)
It's not suitable for smaller objects and meshes. It does not support animations.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#3]
WorldCraft = old outdated version of Hammer ;-) Others would be quark and gtk-radiant

And yes, BSP is a indoor level format, created by id for Quake and modified by valve for HL (so there are 2 different BSP formats)

For test BSPs: planethalflife and planetquake should have a massive amount of them.

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#4]
You get both to the point!
Which format is indentical for large outdoor environments? If you have seen the FreeHunter in Blitz Showcase forum, you can see parts of the outdoor meshes displayed on the screen as you fly nearby to them
Is there any methodology to achieve this or just load the large terrain and set the camera fog?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#5]
Note there are several BSP formats, all named BSP, but Blitz3D does suport only the "Quake 3 Arena" BSP format!

I suggest you look around in the Q3A community for modded levels and user made BSP levels.

ID soft has declared the sourcecode of Q3 to be open source lately. I am not 100% sure if this means you could freely use the product of their Compiler (product= the BSP file) in your commercial games, but I guess there's a good chance. You may have to ask them, and when they see it's a small indy game, they probably will say yes.

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
I like BSPs. Neat and fast little chappies.

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#7]

ID soft has declared the sourcecode of Q3 to be open source lately. I am not 100% sure if this means you could freely use the product of their Compiler (product= the BSP file) in your commercial games, but I guess there's a good chance.

They released the tool source under GPL too - as I understand it there shouldn't be any issues with using GtkRadiant for commercial stuff.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yeah, but somehow it's still not clear how GPLed stuff affects the license.