Texture Trouble

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Texture Trouble

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#1]
So if i have one texture, and its got diffrent colors on it, and apply it to a .3ds airplane model I have, the airplane turns out one color of the many on the texture. Why is this and is there any way to stop it?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
Model doesn't have UV coords?

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#3]
err... what are those?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
UV coordinates define which parts of the texture are applied to each polygon in the model.

If your model doesn't have any UV coordinates, then it doesn't know where to put the texture, so it'll all appear the same colour.

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#5]
oh. Thanks.

Terry B.(Posted 2006) [#6]
Does anyone know how to set UV coordinates?
Didn't work for me, couldn't figure out how to do it.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#7]
In your modelling software. It's not done in code. ( Before someone tries to correct me, it CAN BE DONE in code, but it IS NOT DONE in code. ) It's entirely impractical to set UV coordinates for a complex model like an airplane in code.

If your modelling software doesn't have a UV editor ( or if the UV editor is rubbish ) then you'll have to try another. Or Ultimate Unwrap, which is one of the best for UV mapping.

You may also wish to google for UV mapping tutorials. There are lots. I think Joe Hocking wrote one on the Ultimate Unwrap site.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here we go : http://www.unwrap3d.com/tutorials.aspx

markcw(Posted 2006) [#8]
uv coordinates can be understanded as follows:

say you have a triangle, each vertex has a u and v coordinate. these are like x,y points on a texture. this determines what part of a texture is shown. If you use a uvmapping tool this allows you to control what part of a texture is shown on each triangle/face.