shadows for this game?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/shadows for this game?

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#1]
I know B3D cant do shadows out of the box and there are several shadow libs etc out there, but i was wondering if you guys can think of a shadow system for this game, ive gone for the polygon look there wont be textures in the game.

heres a screen grab (not much to see yet), notice in this screen grab that the ship is on the bottom of the tunnel and i realy think it needs a shadow of some kind.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#2]
Is the floor always going to be perfectly flat? If so, you could simply clone your model, scale it so that it's very, very thin on the y ( vertical ) axis and place it ever so slightly above the ground. It works great ( I've done it. )

If not, you're basically choosing between SSwift's system and DevilsChild's new stencil system. I only have experience of SSwift's here, and it's excellent. I guess DC's is free, so you can evaluate that for yourself.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#3]
Or, assuming the ship is not 'animated' (or even if it is) you could create a sprite with the ship's silhouette on it and place it using multiply blending on the floor of the room if, as Gabriel says, it is flat.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, i decided to try a simple blob shadow and it does the job better than I though and keeps the retro looks. =D