Blitz 3d - Still in development?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz 3d - Still in development?

jd269(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi... just curious, is Blitz3D still in development, or is BlitzMax now the only product in active development?

When was the last update released?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#2]
A couple of weeks ago. Support for DDS added.

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#3]
These are the changes made a couple of weeks ago:
***** V1.98 *****

Fixed lost Compressed textures at Alt-Tab etc.

Q3BSP loader now tries png and dds files in addition to tga and jpg.

***** V1.97 *****

Fixed PlayMusic case sensitive file extension issue.

LoadTexture now loads compressed '.dds' files.

TextureBuffer() returns 0 for compressed textures.

Compressed anim and cube textures not yet supported.

Only DXTC modes 1, 3 & 5 are currently supported. Modes 2 & 4 are pretty much never used in the industry, even
NVidias own DDS exporter for Photoshop now only supports modes 1, 3 & 5.

The loader code stricly adheres to the DDS format, files saved from Photoshop using NVidias DDS exporter will
work fine. If you're getting errors, it could be that your DDS file is non-standard.

The mipmap flag is ignored when loading DDS textures. Instead, if the DDS file contains mipmaps, then they are
loaded & used.

DDS textures will load when used by meshes that are loaded using Blitz3D's various load mesh commands.

Usage tips:
If your texture does not have an alpha use mode DXT1
If your texture has a 1 bit mask, use mode DXT1a
If your texture has a smooth gradient alpha, use mode DXT5

Added MeshCullBox for manual mesh culling. This allows you to correct some situations where an
animated mesh extends beyond the guesstimated bounding box.

kochOn(Posted 2006) [#4]
I think Blitz3D will progress realy slowly in the future cause of the BlitzMax expansion, and the updates will be mainly for fixes. I d like to see some of useful missing function like EntityExists(), GetColor(), CetClsColor() and much more which would simplify my life a lot.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#5]
Blitz3d is not in development any more, all the updates are expected to be bugfixes.

BUT, The DDS thing was written externaly, ie not by BRL, (By Tim I think), and added to blitz. So its possible that lots of things may be in developmet just not by BRL.

(That is not to say that B3d is dead, just that nothing major is expected to be added to it)

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#6]
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Not another speculation thread!

GfK(Posted 2006) [#7]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63012

jd269(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks for your replies (those of you that posted useful information, not the whining post). Good to see that they are keeping up with the bug fixes.

CodeOrc(Posted 2006) [#9]
So with that being said...I have a question.

Is it difficult to make B3D from DX7 to like DX8 or 9 ?

Forgive the ignorance in my question, but it I am running on very little information, and it seems like it would be possible.

OR-

Is it a moot point because BMAX will be 3D soon?

Any Ideas?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#10]
Yes it is difficult or at least no "easy short time undertaking".

DX Structure changed significantly with the change from DX7 to DX8 (DirectDraw which is used for 2D for example does not exist anymore)

CodeOrc(Posted 2006) [#11]
thx Dreamora for clarifying that for me...I had no idea DX7 was miles from DX8.

I have lots to learn...lol

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#12]

EntityExists()

That would be great!

Come on BRL lets have the source :-)

sulusgames(Posted 2006) [#13]
Will be Great a 'STRICT' command

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#14]
If BlitzMax officially will have the 3D capabilities of Blitz3D I will immediately proceed to the purchase. At this time I can't see a reason to buy an object oriented basic while at the same time I can get for free the wonderfull Dev-C++

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#15]
blitz3d will may be updated, but i guess commands like EntityRed() won't be supported at all