free .b3d human model?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/free .b3d human model?

Jsoren(Posted 2006) [#1]
i wasnt sure where to post this, sorry if this is the wrong place.

i was wondering if anyone has a free .b3d mesh of a human model i can use, or knows where i can obtain one? its for a free MMORPG i am devoloping, and should really have: some animations built in (ie: walk, attack, idle, etc...). hand, chest, shoulder, head, etc.., bones.

and to texture the shirt, pants, boots etc... of a model seperatly, do u absalutly need them to be seperate surfaces? if so, that would help to...

i know, its asking ALOT! but if u have a model like this lying around or know where to find one, it would be REALLY helpful...or if u know of a free 3D modeler that can do this that a fairly 'mesh impared' person could use?

ty in advance
JSoren

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#2]

i know, its asking ALOT!

Yes, you are asking a lot... if someone would have a model like that I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't give it away for free.

Shirts and other stuff don't have to be separate surface, you can texture the model with one big map that has everything included - bit like most .MD2 models.

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Free%20Stuff/3D%20Models

http://www.tomspeed.com/free/

Probably not exactly what you are looking for - but some good place-holders.

Jeepster(Posted 2006) [#4]
Well, I'm making a human model, but it probably will not have animation or texture with it for a while (2+ weeks). But, when I'm done, I'll let it be free. So far I've modelled the head. You can see it on the art forum at www.milkshape3d.com. The post name is "Head"

Jsoren(Posted 2006) [#5]
sry, i posted this before but it got deleted:

wow, that is looking good jeepster, i will keep checking that link to see how its coming, ty!

Shirts and other stuff don't have to be separate surface, you can texture the model with one big map that has everything included - bit like most .MD2 models.

how would i go about doing this, i mean texturing a model with one big map? do u have any code snippits or something i could se that would help me understand?

ty

JS

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#6]
This isn0t done in code, but in hard work named skinning, or UV unwrapping etc. The tool would be UltimateUnwrap I suggest. Maybe the older Lithunwrap, but you better use the UltimateUnwrap, this will save you time and troubles, tho it wil cost a little.

modelling, texturing and animating characters is a science by its own. Personally I work several days on a single character. That's several hundred $ of work - hard work, not hobby fun.

So don't expect too much. You may find some free models. But you better get the tools to make your own. You may combine things, eg: animate existing static models.

Learning these things will take you some time. Months, maybe years if you want top quality.

Or you may hire an artist, or buy ready to use characters, eg. from www.turbosquid.com

It's up to you to decide if you want to work 30 hours on a character, or spend 100$ or so.

For now you may be able to use the placeholders mentioned before, from psionic and tom, as well as some free models from various websites. For serious games design you will need more than that.