.b3D question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/.b3D question

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2006) [#1]
What's the maximum size a .b3d file can be in order for blitz3d to load it?
I get an "entity does not exist error" after I try to reference it.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
Not sure about loading it tbh. You sure you have your file path and extensions correct? How many poly's is it?

In terms of rendering if depends on the graphics card. For me over 32k polys or 64k verts causes a MAV on renderworld.

Stevie

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2006) [#3]
Not sure how many polys, because it isn't my model. But the size is 2.5MB.
Also, I double checked the file paths, and they're fine.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2006) [#4]
2.5mb without animation is a huge file but it is down to maximum vertices per surface, 64k iirc.
Try loading as an anim mesh if the file has many seperate entities, if not it won't load.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#5]
As Stevie said meshes with too many vertices or triangles will MAV on Renderworld, but they usually can be loaded without errors. Try to keep the numbers (both tris and vertices) below 32'000 per surface.

It seems to me this isn't the problem. What program did you use to save the file? Did you save it at all? Or is it somthing from the web? Note: there is a further format named B3D, so don't confuse them.

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2006) [#6]
I downloaded it from the web, and I think it was in lightwave format. Then i used biturn to convert it to .b3d/.B3D format. What's the difference between them?

kevin8084(Posted 2006) [#7]
There are at least three .b3d file formats. One is for the Apple ASCII 3dmf file, one is for the bbcbasic for windows 3d file, the third is for blitz3d. None are compatible with each other.

Jeepster(Posted 2006) [#8]
I'm having the same problem, but my file is 363 verts and 334 faces. it's 1KB as a .b3d
when I run it, it says entity does not exist.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#9]
Jeepster - are you sure the model is loaded correctly - and is it a proper B3D file? How was it created?

Jeepster(Posted 2006) [#10]
I don't know what you mean by "loaded correctly" but if you mean when I typed in model1 = loadmesh("C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Unzipped\model.b3d"), I typed it in right thing. I made it with Milkshape and used the .b3d exporter and saved it to the folder.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#11]
1k is way too small for a .b3d file with that number of verts/polys. For example, I have a simple cone.b3d which is 2k and only has 38 verts and 22 polys. Looks to me that it hasn't been saved correctly.

Stevie

Jsoren(Posted 2006) [#12]
i was having the same problems with .b3d files too, if the .b3d file is the right kind of format thats compatable with blitz3d, then try updating blitz, that solved it for me.

JS

Jeepster(Posted 2006) [#13]
yeah, I thought 1KB is tiny for a model, but as it turns out, I think Milkshape has a little bug in it. oh well thanks for the help

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#14]
do you have 1.70 instead of most actual perhaps? The first few versions that used the new core (without 32k polygon restriction) were deadly bugged on exports and messed with polygons and sending correct data to exporter. I think the current version or the last 1.6.X version don't have such problems.

Jeepster(Posted 2006) [#15]
uh, if you're talking about Milkshape, I have the latest, 1.7.10, but if you mean the exporter itself, I don't know what version it is.

Jeepster(Posted 2006) [#16]
oh yeah, and if you're speaking of Blitz, I think I have the new version, considering I got Blitz only 3 weeks ago