BB3d vs BMAX (2D)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/BB3d vs BMAX (2D)

Tobo(Posted 2006) [#1]
Wotcha, folks.

I know this must have been asked a million times, but I've searched and searched and can't find anything!

What does Bmax have over BB3D?

I'm a relative noob when it comes to programming, and have only just got me head round sprites & types.

Do I perserveer with BB3D which I already own, or is BMax worth the plunge.

In time I'd like to try 3D, but for now, a 2D Manic Minor clone would make me very happy.

Is there something fundementally superior about BMax that i'm missing?

Many thanks.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#2]
Id Stick to blitz3d for a while and prehaps once mastered make the move to bmax.

Blitz max has a lot more potential to do a lot more, but, it currently lacks the ease of use and the help is still a long way from friendly.

In my view (this will probably be dissagreed with) is bmax is a lot more middle level (like c++ etc) than b3d is a basic language, and at the moment a fair bit more complex and 'hardcore'

If you want to write your first game and get the programming fundementals stick with blitz3d, it is more than capable.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#3]
I totally agree with the man above :o) (not god, D-Grafix :o) )

H&K(Posted 2006) [#4]
If you are learning to program, then dont start by using B3d and then moving to Bmax.

Bmax seems to lack ease of use for B3d users, so if you learn to program on b3d, then Bmax seems less easy.

Go straight to Bmax. DGraphix is right, but honestly the language structure you first become good at, will stay with you for ages. So if you are a Noob (as you said), then learn on BMax

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#5]
I would def say, blitz3d is easier to pick up than BMAX. Plus, blitz3d has nearly all it's bugs ironed out. Where-as BMAX still has bugs that could frustrate a new user, and have him/her scratching their heads, when it's BMAX's fault.

No doubt BMAX is more powerful, but if it's a hobby, i think blitz3d is by far the easier to learn.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#6]
Is there something fundementally superior about BMax that i'm missing?

Yes.

If you have B3d, and you dont have the cash, then stay with B3d, if you do have the cash and want to learn programming, and dont want to use c#, or c++ then buy Bmax.
BMax is no more difficult to get as good as compared to B3d, but once you get to that level Bmax has more to learn.

Why not post the question in the Bmax beginners section?

kiami(Posted 2006) [#7]
If you want to do 2d for a while, use BMAX, it is a great software with OOP capability and common sense syntax. I have used it very succesfully for my own purpose. But, if you want to do 3d, well, obviousley, you have no choice but BB3D. Of course, with BMAX you have access to openGL, but you don't buy BMAX for that.

However, if you can affort, buy both and play with both, you will learn a lot with lots of fun. You can install BMAX on Linux, hopefully.

If BMAX evolve to 3D and work efficiently, Blitz Research will retire itself after few years, perhaps! Where can you see a game programming package with oop and 3D with interface to OpenGL? BMAX, then, will triger a mass revolution as it will release lots of talents who now are suppressed by game development monopolies!! By looking at sharware games, you will see what I am talking about. That is the evidence.

Tobo(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate all your comments.

Maybe I'll tinker with B3D, and ask for BMax from Santa this year.

People have mentioned lack of documentation, but this new book out might plug that gap maybe!

Thanks again, folks.

Tobo.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#9]
@Tobo,

Not really, The new book is nearly generic, in that it could be about b3d. Most of the stuff that makes Bmax worth using over B3d isnt in the book.

Often tho the reason it wouldnt be in the manual, is that no one can agree on how to do this "more advanced" stuff.

The Bmax Docs suck. But..... you have the source code, and it is amazing how quickly you decide to look at the code rather than the docs.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#10]
I'm not sure that a book about Blitzmax is a good idea. The language gets updated so frequently that the book is going to be out of date straight away, to some extent.

Yeshu777(Posted 2006) [#11]
Slightly O/T, but..

@Tobo

"A 2D Manic Minor clone would make me very happy."

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=823

Very well done too.