A Sun

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/A Sun

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#1]
If I want to put a sun in a 3D world, do I have to use a sprite or can I intencify a light?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
Use a sprite.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks for the confirmation.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#4]
I have done it with a big Sphere at a distance, then particle candied an emmiter onto it, to make an aroura. This was only for "Show", and the light was a seperate light entity

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#5]
I see. Then how do I make really vivid shadows?

H&K(Posted 2006) [#6]
I dont know. Never bothered with shadows. It was as I said just for "Show". Lot of games dont "need" shadows.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks for your help H&K. Ya, now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a Blitz game with shadows.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#8]
You should really look up Swifts shadow library for really good shadows or look into the newer stencil shadow stuff being offered by our Russian colleagues.

IPete2.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#9]
I will when I get towards the finishing stages of my game. (Right now I'm only working on landscapes.) Thanks everyone for all your help and ideas.

Bobysait(Posted 2006) [#10]
"H&K"
I have done it with a big Sphere at a distance, then particle candied an emmiter onto it, to make an aroura. This was only for "Show", and the light was a seperate light entity

It should be a source of problem, that you 'll have to specify a big range for your camera.
=> why not Making a small sphere ( sprite? ), and position it every frame around the camera ( just have to specify a great EntityOrder for it is "drawn" after the rest of the scene ) , like a skybox ?

H&K(Posted 2006) [#11]
@Bobysait,

I dont really have b3d, but I had a month when I had acccess to Particle candy, Terrered, easyTok and b3d. And that was the solution I had in the short time I had to use b3d.
And the big sphere at a distance, was moved everyframe relative to the camera point.

If I had had longer then I might, as you said, just sprite onto the skybox. But I dindnt, and It worked, (ish).