CharacterFX anim not working

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/CharacterFX anim not working

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#1]
for some reason my characterFX animations arent working im using the Loadanimmesh example code.

10 frames

in characterFX to export the animation you click export current pose right?

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#2]
Fuller,

It is too long since I put CharacterFX to one side...sorry.

But on the other hand, you should seriously think about downloading and investigating the Pacemaker demo by Smiff - it is awesome, check out the video tutorials on his website at http://www.goddysey.com , theres a lot of very cool features to help you get into character animations very quickly in this programme and the additional plug in skeletons which have just come into use, including quadraped, are ace.

IPete2.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#3]
No, not export current pose, just export. We're going to need more information to diagnose this. What is the animation? What file format? What is happening in Blitz ("not working" isn't enough)?

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#4]
Ive tried all the file formats that can be exproted from CharacterFX and the model still doesnt move even though it says its animating!

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#5]
First off, use b3d file format. Second, you have to make sure to update Blitz. Third, as I said we need more information. Could you perhaps post the CharacterFX file for us to examine?

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#6]
Animation: Simple Walking and attacking
Format: I tried all of them
In Blitz: The character isnt moving even though it says it's animating.

Sorry, I cant post the file...

I'm using the LoadAnimMesh example from the most recent update on the docs. I have the latest version of Blitz and a GeForce 256 mb graphics card.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#7]
post code plz

Also, what do you mean by "it says it's animating"? What says that? Is that part of the code? If so, then the problem is probably the mesh itself not containing any animation data. In which case, you are not exporting correctly from CharacterFX.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#8]
code: LoadAnimMesh code from the docs
if says its animating because I put:
text 0,0,animating(guy)
I click export then select B3D file

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#9]
Just saying it's the code from the docs isn't good enough. We need you to post your actual code so that we can see if you made any typos or anything. Even just adding the one line, to check if it's animating, could be in the wrong place. A common mistake is calling Animate over and over in the main loop, rather than just once to start the animation; as a result, the animation will start over again and again and never play.

Meanwhile, if the problem is with exporting from CharactFX, we are really going to need the file itself. Sorry to disappoint you, but we are not mind readers.

b32(Posted 2006) [#10]
Have you tried to animate the children instead of the main mesh ? Sort of like this:
for i = 1 to countchildren(mesh)
  g = getchild(mesh, i)
  ;name$ = entityname$(g)
  animate g
next

However, this code might give an error, since not all children are animated, probably only the bones.
(edit)there is also findchild, that allows you to find the child by its name(edit)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#11]
No, you' should not need to animate the children.

Simply export as B3D. This should work. Make sure to set a keyframe for every bone on the very first frame of the animation in CFX.

Then load it in a simple failsafe test:
cam=createcamera()
translateentity cam,0,0,-20

m=loadanimmesh("x.b3d")
animate m
while keydown(1)=0
 updateworld()
 renderworld()
 flip
wend

note: updateworld is required.

Also try to download the latest B3D export plugin and/or CFX Version.

If you're new to CFX, then think about to switch to PaceMaker, it has some highly pro features.