Two or more game controllers?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Two or more game controllers?

jeffmorris(Posted 2006) [#1]
Does Blitz3D support two or more game controllers? The online help said that I can use JoyX(port) where port is where the game controller is connected to the USB port.

b32(Posted 2006) [#2]
I believe the joystick ports are indexed from 0 to the number of joysticks connected minus one.
JoyX(0), JoyX(1) .. etc

Matty(Posted 2006) [#3]
That is correct - the joyport values begin at 0 and go to n-1 where n=number of usb joypads.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#4]
Jeff,

I can confirm the above - Pepsi's old force feedback dll allows you to set up to 128 I think, not atht you would ever need that many - unless.... hmm interesting idea.

I believe the limit is a number of usb perhiperals allowed to be attached at any one time, kinda limit.

IPete2.

jeffmorris(Posted 2006) [#5]
If you call up "Game Controllers" from Windows Control Panel, you can find out which game controller is connected to which port. The "JoyType" command in Blitz3D only lets me know if the game controller is analog, digital, or not connected. Some game controllers have functions that Blitz3D doesn't support. My joystick has a throttle and Z rotation. Any suggestions?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#6]
JoyU() may do for the throttle control, while JoyZ(), JoyYaw(), JoyPitch(), JoyRoll() and JoyHat() plus possibly a couple of others, should cater for most of the other stuff.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#7]
jeffmorris,

not sure about the normal B3d stuff as I tend to always use the Pepsi dll. It has everything for you play with, and examples of force feedback to - with the editor and some ff effects.

It must be still around the forums somewhere, if not email me and I shall look it up for you.

IPete2.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#8]
@ IPete2, I remember this guy Pepsi from along time back. Was his lib released for free? If so, can you e-mail me the dll's etc.. please?

Cheers
Stevue

jeffmorris(Posted 2006) [#9]
I didn't know that there's a new version of Blitz 3D manual. I downloaded it.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#10]
StevieG

Yes they were - I'll look them out of my archives and send them to you.

IPete2.

jeffmorris(Posted 2006) [#11]
I found the joystick code on the code archive at this link: http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=840
How do I run the code?

Pepsi(Posted 2006) [#12]
@ IPete2, I remember this guy Pepsi from along time back. Was his lib released for free? If so, can you e-mail me the dll's etc.. please?

man, I'm starting to feel old here 8X

Yes it's released as free. I dropped support for it as I couldn't figure out how to get multiple forcefeedback effects to play correctly on more than one game controller. Also, I've always wanted to write a more direct way of accessing the DirectInput functions through blitz, more of a wrapper dll around the DirectInput API so one can write the guts to control it all in blitz. Jest havent had the time as Im harldy ever home mostly.

I thought I had a newer version than 1.4, but here is v1.4 to download and it also includes the CPP source files for the dll. Hope it helps somehow...

http://www.exodev.com/files/BB_DInput1_4.zip

jeffmorris(Posted 2006) [#13]
Pepsi, the force feedback effect files are missing.

Pepsi(Posted 2006) [#14]
The effect files and the ffb effects tool comes with the DirectX SDK. I feel a little weary distributing seperate things like that as if Im breaking a Micro$oft law... probably was. I'll leave the zip as is.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#15]
Pepsi,

You're a genius dude! I love using this dll and everyone I show it to loves playing the demos I have done using it too. So again a "Big Thank you!".

IPete2.