Finding an IP address

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Finding an IP address

Farflame(Posted 2006) [#1]
Not sure where to put this....

I'm making a server/client based game. I've recently got hold of a second internet connection, both for testing my game and for business use. Anyway, to help test my game properly, I'm now going to connect fully over the internet using my two seperate connections (before, I was going through a router).

So, I've plugged in my new connection and both computers are working fine on the web. But my client will no longer connect to my server.

So, I've checked the correct IP address of the server, but I have to admit this is rather tricky to find. Internet pages give loads of different answers, but I think I know what the correct one is. However, it doesn't match up with the IP address in Run -> Ipconfig. The IPConfig address still gives what seems to be a 'local' IP address (192.168.0.2, very similar to the address I was getting when I was still connecting through the router).

Sooooooooooo, how do I find my correct IP address? And will I need to do something to make my computer realise that it's no longer connection through a router? I suspect I've got the correct IP address but something else is wrong......

Chad(Posted 2006) [#2]
Try www.whatismyip.com

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
If you're connected to the web directly then the IP should be something diffrent. If you have multiple ports connected (LAN/Router as well as direct connection) then ipconfig should list all connections, so you may have to select the right one. And do a refresh.

Does XP contain the winipcfg.exe ?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#4]
write a little php-script which only displays the ip adress (similar to whatismyip), so you can parse that page easily. get a php enabled webspace and you are done. not the cleanest method, but the easiest.

<? echo $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; ?>

this is the code for the phpscript.

Farflame(Posted 2006) [#5]
The webpage still gives me an IP address that doesn't work. And IP config still gives 192.168.0.2 which seems wrong.

I think something might be wrong because it was going through the router before and I'd set up port-forwarding to get them to connect. Now it's off the router but it still seems to think it's on it, because 192.... seems like a router address?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#6]
yes, 192.xxx is a common router adress. the webpage gives you the correct IP. maybe you have to forward some ports to the specified computer to get the game work (or open the ports in your firewall - allow incoming traffic).

Farflame(Posted 2006) [#7]
Tried that too, have opened up the port in XP's firewall but it still won't connect :(

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#8]
make sure that you have enabled DHCP. just to make sure you get the right IP.

Farflame(Posted 2006) [#9]
DHCP is enabled. I think it's something else, something to do with a proxy server or something. I'm going to try ringing my ISP support to get it sorted out.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#10]
Try disabling the Widows Firewall completely and check that your DNS address is also pointing to the router ( or your ISP's DNS server if you know what it is).