Terragen and L3dt

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Terragen and L3dt

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#1]
On the Creation Tools Overview sticky post, It says that Terragen Is good for skybox rendering. How do you go about this?
And I've seen some pretty nice terrains made in L3dt (Like the ones in Battletanks II) How do you export a heightmap in L3dt?

And while im at it, Whats the Best FREE entity placement tool?

Matty(Posted 2006) [#2]
There used to be a terragen sky box rendering tutorial on these forums although I've just had a look and could not find it.

What you do basically is create a nice sky in terragen, put the camera in the centre of the map, render only the sky, and render it 6 times (well 5 really) - make sure the camera zoom is 1.0 and then simply turn the camera to face each direction and render.

In blitz3d sample code there are a few example sky boxes, I think in 'bird's' samples folder there is a simple createskybox function, which if you name your renders from terragen appropriately they should work.

The only tricky part is working out how the top face of the skybox should be rendered in terragen (ie I know it is directly up - pitch = -90 but I think it was rotated on the yaw axis as well from memory.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks

John J.(Posted 2006) [#4]
How do you export a heightmap in L3dt?

Select "View -> Show Map -> Heightfield", then select "File -> Export -> Active Map", then select the image format and file name in the save dialog that appears.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#5]
I just googled 'terragen skybox' and got tons of useful tutorials. Hell, you could click 'I'm Feeling Lucky' and just go with the first one. They're not about Blitz (UnReal mostly) and thus won't give you code, but they will tell you how to render the skybox images.

I use Droplet for entity placement. Look in the Toolbox under 3D World Editors.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hi jhocking,

Could different objects be placed on different height?
(I once used Droplet and could not do this!)

Thanks in advance
:)

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yes; make sure to read the documentation for the controls. For placing objects on different heights you need to raise the placement grid. You do that by holding Shift and moving the mouse.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks every one! Though when I load the l3dt terrain into blitz it is really pointy in some areas.