Menu uhhh...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Menu uhhh...

Myrmydon(Posted 2006) [#1]
I Am new here but not new to blitz basic, one thing that has elluded me is the in game menus any tips on the matter?

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#2]
welcome,
there arent any tutorials or such that i know of, but in game menus are fairly simple, there may be some examples lying around here somewhere.

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#3]
I dont know if this helps, but I made this main menu example from my first project, which i never finished.

http://n8r2k.deviousbytes.com/downloads/mousemenuexample.zip

Thats not my best work btw, that was very early into that project, I think i was still learning blitz then.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#4]
n8r2k:
Why the disclaimer? Of course we understand that this is your earlier work. CTLOL (*Chuckling, then LOL)

Myrmydon(Posted 2006) [#5]
I have been researching on the topic though But everything in my reasearch is as clear as mud

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#6]
there are really unlimited possibilities when it comes to game menus. Poor would it be to use Win Api Menus and gadgets... Although I agree, usually I am too lazy to implement supercool menus.

This is really where you can let your fantasy run wild. A cool menu.

I'd suggest to use alpha or addition blending - it may be a single surface system, or you could also simply use a couple of semitransparent sprites.

Buttons, icons and other graphics may be static or animated textures. Text can be done this way: create a texture for each Character from A-Z and 0 to 9 etc. Then instead of printing the text you would create a segmented plane where each segment may contains one character. (I use this eg. for permanent Score info etc.)

An other solution is to copyrect the entire text from the backbuffer to the texture, this also allows to use true type fonts, unlike the way described before.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#7]
Well there is one if you click my sig [Blitz3D link]. It's ages old and crappy etc... :)

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#8]
the disclaimer was supposed to say something like this:
if the code either fries your computer or doesnt work, its not my fault
but i was abducted by terrorists before i could finish. ;)

Myrmydon(Posted 2006) [#9]
Thanks JFK E0-11110 That is what I needed to find out

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#10]
I made a little mistake when I said:
"...create a quad for each Character from A-Z and 0 to 9 etc..."

I actually meant:
"...create a texture for each Character from A-Z and 0 to 9 etc...."