alpha on a pivot?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/alpha on a pivot?

Idiot(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm trying to fade out a collection of shapes that have the same pivot as the parent, but I can't use entityAlpha on the pivot. It gives me an error saying "Entity is not a model". Is there an easy way to fade out the entire group some how? I really don't want to have to fade every single shape individually.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
You can't do what you ask. The alpha of the parent mesh will have no bearing on it's children, only scale / rotation etc.. This is the only way I can think of and it involves going through them all individually.

Stevie

for c = 1 to countchildren( pivot )

child = getchild( pivot, c )
  if entityclass$( child ) = "Mesh"
     entityalpha child, .25
  endif

next

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#3]
You might need to make that a recursive function, Stevie, just incase the children, have children.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#4]
Probably best to put those objects into a type, then you can loop the type etc

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#5]
But, in doing that, how do you know whats parented to what? You'll still need to use the getchildren() command. I agree however, that storing every mesh you load in a type collection is an excellent idea :o)

Idiot(Posted 2006) [#6]
cool, that'll work. thanks.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#7]
boomboom
Probably best to put those objects into a type, then you can loop the type etc

Ross C:
I agree however, that storing every mesh you load in a type collection is an excellent idea :o)

I like the idea. Every time you add a mesh, you do a mymesh.typethingee = new typethingee
and then you can FOR-EACH through the whole list, regardless of whether the mesh in question is a parent or child, or even a seventh-generation recursive child. Sweet!

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#8]
You still have the problem of finding each mesh parented though. So, you would need to use the recursive getchild method to find all the children :o) Types are ace for storing your meshes though.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#9]
Ross C:
If each mesh is added to the type collection as it gets added to the pivot, then it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Another possibility I see, though, is instead of using a pivot, use a tiny mesh as the parent, and hideentity it, but otherwise use it as the parent, and then set the alpha for it.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#10]
I think it's just easier and requires less coding to use the recursive getchild :o) Your way would work, but freeing an entity. You'd need to search through the type collection and remove any meshes/entities that are parented also.

I think for simplicity and ease of use, the getchild is the best way to go. But, it's always good to throw about other ideas :o)