Text or draw image?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Text or draw image?

Gamzman(Posted 2006) [#1]
ok, I have created a pause menu that displays a quad (textured) with alpha transparancy (a see through grey background), I want to put text on top of that i.e. Game Paused, Resume game, Quit game. Would it be faster to use draw image with bitmap fonts or using the blitz text command?

Kind Regards,
Gamzman

Gamzman(Posted 2006) [#2]
forgot to mention, 3D stuff will still be displayed in the background hence the alpha transparancy on the quad, but it will not be active.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#3]
Prolly fastest overall to use quads to display your letters. What about creating a texture, say 256x32 or something, and drawing onto the texture with the text command. You'll only need to do this once, and you can apply this texture to another sprite.

Faster than the 2d drawing :o)

But, if you wanting to stick to the 2d, then creating a image, and drawing the text to the image, then drawing the image every frame will be quickest.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#4]
Using the Text command on textures is unreliable. It plain doesn't work on some GFX cards. You'll probably be better off rendering your text to the back buffer before copyrecting it to a texture.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#5]
Ah, i didn't know that. Thanks, it might save me a headache somewhere down the line :o)

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
No probs. :)

P.S. Your missus was just on IRC. Seems like a nice gal. :)

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#7]
She is usually... :D (don't tell her i said that :S )

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#8]
IRC? How do you guys all know each other!?

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#9]
It's a conspiracy.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#10]
Talk on the forums, and go on the IRC channel :o)

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#11]
What's the IRC channel?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#12]
What is a quad ? Only reason I ask is I've been using 3d Cylinders and am considering new options that are less 3d rendering intensive...

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#13]
A quad is basically a 3d square, 4 vertices, 2 triangles which you create in code using addvertex etc... It's very similar to a 3dsprite but any camera alignment has to be done yourself.

The main usage, for me at least, would be for a 3d GUI or single surface particle system.

Stevie