Animation not working with DirectX file!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Animation not working with DirectX file!

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#1]
I created an animated model using MilkShape 3D and converted it to a .X file. It loads the mesh in Blitz3D but doesn't animate! Then I replaced it with mariorun.X (in the examples under mak\castle\makio) and that file does animate!
Please Help

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#2]
Blitz3D does not support skeletal animated .x models. If you are exporting a model from Milkshape, export to b3d file format.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#3]
I have tried to export into the b3d format but each time I try, a window pops up saying "ms3d has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for this inconvenience."
Other file formats work fine exporting (e.g. 3ds), but none animate.

IKG(Posted 2006) [#4]
Bummer =/

Reinstall? Update with patch?

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#5]
Try the previous version of milkshape. The latest has a bug with .b3d export.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thank you for your answers but nothing has worked so far. When I try to export into a MD2 format it says "Found vertices with no bone. No animations are exported." The model has many close vertices.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#7]
This is just a hunch, but I think your problem may be that there are vertices not attached to any bone.

Incidentally, this reminds me of one simple tip/trick: before you start rigging for real, attach all the vertices to the root bone. That way you'll know they're all attached to something, and then they detach from that bone when you assign them to a new bone.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks for your reply. Sure enough I found two vertices that were not assigned. I assigned them to the appropriate bone and exported into .3ds, .x, and .b3d and nothing has changed yet. Maybe it is my programming that is throwing me off:

;An animation test
Graphics3D 800,640,1
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

camera = CreateCamera()

light = CreateLight()

warrior = LoadAnimMesh("swordwielder.3ds") 
RotateEntity warrior,-90,0,0
PositionEntity warrior,0,0,30
Animate warrior,3

While Not KeyDown (1)
      UpdateWorld()
      RenderWorld()

Flip
Wend
End 

The program does the same thing with a .x file (besides the rotation of the mesh).

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#9]
instead of Aninmate warrior,3
try
Animate warrior,1
also try to alter the speed parameter.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#10]
Have you tried with the b3d? That is the only file format with which Blitz supports skeletal animation.

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#11]
Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I played around some more with the exporting, and it successfully exported with the DirectX (JT) exporter. It works perfect now, animation and all!
[Edit] The reason it works is DirectX (JT) exports are DX7 not DX 9. B3D can't run DX8 or DX9 animations.

Thanks again