animate or animated?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/animate or animated?

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#1]
is there any difference proformance wise, with an mesh that is animated with code (like the walker example that comes with blitz3d) and a boned mesh animated with say characterfx. im guessing the code option would be quicker.

by code i mean you get your mesh, then animate by find child, then rotate child etc.

i only have very basic movements i want to do, so if its better to code it, it should be easy enough.

Pete

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#2]
There's no real difference because the vertex positions have to be calculated in both cases - using code can give you even more control. If the movement is sort of mechanical and basic then its fairly easy to achieve in code. The hardest part will be the timing.

Another thing you need to take into consideration is the gimbal lock problem with euler angles. If you're planning on rotating any of your bones more than 180 degrees euler then you will have to use quaternions or matrices. If the rotations are only going to be small and/or only on one axis then you can get away with using eulers.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'm not familiar with the walker example, but the relevant difference is heirarchy vs. skeletal animation, not keyframe vs. code. That is, is the mesh a single mesh animated by moving the bones, or is it a bunch of linked objects animated by moving the various rigid pieces? The latter is much faster, but of course uglier for organic models (eg. people.)

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#4]
the example is in the blitz 3d samples dir under Flameduck/walker it is a combo of a skeletal animation and rigid pieces that can be moved by user input.

Jhocking: i get your point, i think i could get away with animation using rigid pieces for my shooter because i have no organic shapes to animate.

Smiff: thanks for the tip about gimbal lock!

Pete

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#5]
I'm not into animation yet, but is there a difference between creating simple animations in Blitz, and premaking them in a modeller? The same question goes for simple shapes and things, also...