To Mac?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/To Mac?

Liberator(Posted 2006) [#1]
Ok, so I know it's a dumb question but I'm getting bloody desperate. Is there ANY way to get a Blitz3D App to play on a Mac? Without the Mac having some sort of virtual PC software, is this possible at all? I'm up for any and all ideas - no matter how crazy, or nutty they might be.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#2]
No.

Liberator(Posted 2006) [#3]
Whoops posted it on wrong forum. Really, there is just no way at all ever? It's such a same...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
Intel based mac on XP should work

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#5]
if you are using bootcamp... but hey, thats what bmax is for ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#6]
They are two completely different and incompatible machines. (up til very recently at least.) The answer is No- you *will* need Virtual PC software of some sort;

http://www.parallels.com/

This is for the INTEL Macs- and will run at mostly full speed. you'll need to install WinXP though :)

b32(Posted 2006) [#7]
Could you compile the source using blitzmax ?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#8]
No.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#9]
Once the 3D module for BlitzMax arrives we will be able to do cross-platform 3D games, but there's really no telling when that'll be.

Liberator(Posted 2006) [#10]
"Once the 3D module for BlitzMax arrives we will be able to do cross-platform 3D games, but there's really no telling when that'll be."

Yeah, that's the thing about that...it's been years since we heard anything! Like I know everyone is saying, "Oh you dont really need all those new fancy pants shaders and normal maps, directx 7 is just fine!" But it has nothing to do with that. I can't put more than 20 rigged characters on the screen without slowdown. I can't make the upper half of the character do one thing while the lower does somthing else. My shadow options are painfully limited, and hard to impliment. The list goes on...

I want more than anything to stick with blitz. I love it, hands down best system out there. And it hurts me to say this, but Torque is looking mighty nice over there with its cross-platform compatibility, its Xbox SDKs, and fast up to date graphics. I don't want to switch, but Blitz research hasn't said a word. We've gotten not a single new feature, only bug fixes over the years. How long has it been now?

It's in Blitz Research's best interest to tell us "Hey guy, just stick it out a little longer, we got a whole new 3D engine on the way!" They are going to be losing customers if they don't start talking to us a little bit more here. Do they just not like money? Because I got a whole bunch of it, and I want to give it to them in exchange for the ability to play my Blitz3D game on a mac, or on an Xbox. And I will wait another year if I have to to get it, but I just want to hear that there's somthing to wait for!!

Can we like make a list of the people that want to hear somthing...ANYTHING about the future of Blitz3D? Send it to Mark, be like "Dude, we need some info here!!"

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#11]
Lib. Information about Max3D is usually posted in Marks Worklog here:

http://blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=1&log=507

I am in the exact same boat as you, Wishing to change to something due to the bones, surface, shadows, spec maps, normal maps.....etc issues.

But I am not really in a Rush. :)

I am currently looking at C# and the TV3D engine when the new version is out, and I have some time to play with it and learn C#

Liberator(Posted 2006) [#12]
Seriously, I'm so relieved you just showed me that link. I can go on finishing my game I'm working on and without worry, tell my publisher "Yeah this game WILL at some point make it onto Mac, just a matter of time." I was getting worried there for a while, as I said I'll wait another year if I have to, I just wanted to know that Blitzmax3D was not just a rumor and is actually going to happen. To hear the man himself say it, I can rest easy now :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#13]
Max3D is a *long* way away at the moment and you will need to recode your program in Max3D- BlitzMax3D is *not* compatible with Blitz3D code.

Just so you know you have your work cut out :)

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#14]
tell my publisher "Yeah this game WILL at some point make it onto Mac, just a matter of time."

Telling that to a publisher would be really stupid. Until Max3D is actually available, operate as though Mac is not an option.

Liberator(Posted 2006) [#15]
When you keep getting more money by telling them that - stupid is not the word I would use to describe it, regardless of how long it may actually take. In any case, it's nice to know there's somthing to look forward to.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#16]
Seriously, I'm so relieved you just showed me that link. I can go on finishing my game I'm working on and without worry, tell my publisher "Yeah this game WILL at some point make it onto Mac, just a matter of time." I was getting worried there for a while, as I said I'll wait another year if I have to, I just wanted to know that Blitzmax3D was not just a rumor and is actually going to happen. To hear the man himself say it, I can rest easy now :)

Rest easy? Aside from the fact that there is NO known release date (it was something like '6 months from now' a year and a half ago), you have absolutely NO idea how 'compatible' its going to be with Blitz3D. Looking at the worklogs, there are some major changes in methodology, so it is very unlikely that you can plug in your old B3D code and simply recompile it in Max3D.

Just consider that even 'plain' 2D Blitzbasic/blitzplus code is often easier to rewrite from scratch than it is to try to fix all the things that work differently in Blitzmax... 3D is bound to be the same, if not worse.

Just because they are made by the same people does not mean they will be compatible -- it might be easier to port it to some entirely different language than it will be to port to Max3D...

Or it might just magically work.

Bottom line, is that at this point noone knows. Just be careful what you're getting yourself into. :-?

Liberator(Posted 2006) [#17]
Yeah, this is quite true. And that is the problem. Meh, overall I'm just happy I'll get to release the game at all, Mac or no Mac...I was just saying it would be nice to know that at some point I will be able to port it to Mac...didn't say it was going to be easy ;)