Learning Visual Tricks

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Learning Visual Tricks

IKG(Posted 2006) [#1]
Bloom, Motion Blur, Vivid Colors, etc.

Any advice on how to think when trying to create new camera effects such as those listed above? I'm not looking for source code. I'm looking for some tips or tutorials that can help make me understand how to create them on my own.

Thanks so much :)

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#2]
Yes but still search code archive for some and learn from their code.

IKG(Posted 2006) [#3]
Most of the time I have no clue of whats going on since people use single letters as their variable names.

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#4]
IKG - I can totally agree with you!

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#5]
single letter variables are "less important" - thats the way i do it. "real variables" have descriptive names. so if you find a single letter variable, it is likely that this variable is only used once in a subroutine and will be never touched again from outside this code. don't bother too much with it ;)

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#6]
He's right would you call a temperary loop variable "temporary_variable_I_never_plan_on_using_again"?

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#7]
For temp stuff, I often just do "temp" as the variable name, such as:

for tempy=1 to 10
for tempx=1 to 10
map(tempx,tempy)=blah blah blah
next
next

Othertimes, I use the word "loop", as in loopx, loopy, etc
That way, those variables are never at issue as to what cosmic significance they have.

Both "temp" and "loop" are just 4 letters each, with just an additional letter to differetiate them.

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#8]
I know this topic is 2 years old, but:

http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/graphics/x_motion.htm

Might be interesting for more people other than the topic's author.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#9]
the basic idea behind nearly every full screen effect involves copying the back buffer, using copy rect command, onto a texture. this texture is applied to a sprite that overlays the screen. by doing this you now blend this sprite via entity blend command, to create a glow. you would use multiple sprites for blurs.